What is wrong with my rooster???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Crazy4Chicks, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    A few days ago one of my hens was attacked by the neighbors pit bull - nothing major she was in her fenced in run and the pit grabbed her tail through the fence and was holding her and trying to pull her through the fence I heard the screaming and went out there to see this along with my little banty roo jumping at the fence trying to attack the pits face ( he was such a brave little fellow ) I got the pit to let her go - no blood, cuts,or wounds - just missing some tail feathers and she is very sore around the back half of her body - she seems a little shaky on her feet, but eating and drinking fine- while I was holding her checking her my banty roo jumped at my legs I guess thinking I was hurting his woman.

It has been a few days -she seems fine, but now Clyde is walking with a limp , I checked him over no broken bones , or cuts all his toe nails are still in place- Do you think he just pulled a muscle with all that jumping and fighting ? he is still acting all protective - he walks around making this growling noises and is slightly puffed up- he even charged me this morning - dropped his wing to the ground and came at me sideways - was kinda funny - but he was not like before\\Will he calm down after awhile?

Julie

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

His limp is probably because he strained himself in the "fight."

His behavior to you is probably because he thinks he saved you too and that dance signifies you are a hen to him.

I bet he is still shaken up and now has a bigger ego to go with it. Just don't his ego go out of check with you.

3. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    How do I remind him that he is not " big man " around here ? I have always been able to hold him without him acting like I am going to eat him ( he does not like being picked up but if you get him - he will let you hold him )
    I am so proud of him for trying to protect his flock - I do know that if the fence was not there I would have lost both the girl and him - all the others were kinda just standing there watching but were not anywhere near the fence.
    Should I give him something for the strained leg - or just let it heal on its own?

Julie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by