1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is wrong with my rooster?!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pineapple416, Mar 15, 2015.

1. pineapple416

pineapple416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2014
    Western Washington
    Pepper is a almost 2 year old, bantam frizzled Cochin rooster. This morning we went out to feed the chickens and came back in to eat breakfast. A few minutes later I heard him squaking and freaking out like there was a predator attacking him. I ran out to the chicken yard to find him squaking very loud and pecking his back feathers like something was attacking him. When I tried pick him up he let out a very loud and scared sound that he hasn't made before. He was also pecking at the air and nothing was there. Pepper was spinning in circles and kept looking behind him as if something was there. The hens looked a little nervous of him, but not afraid enough for a predator to have attacked him. He also has no injuries. We put him in a dog carrier on the porch. Now he has settled down and stopped bocking, but still looks strange. He has never done this before. Does anyone know what is wrong with him? If so, how can we help him? Thank you.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  2. pineapple416

pineapple416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2014
    Western Washington
    Could he be going blind? Can that happen? Please help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by