What is wrong with my silkie

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by lzrdwright, Nov 1, 2013.

1. lzrdwright

lzrdwright New Egg

Oct 12, 2012
    Shed was broo
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dy so I picked her up and noticed a cut on her comb and this nasty stuff on her beak area. I have had quite the mosquito problem in their coop. Can someone tell me what I need to do for her. I fill like a horrible mom

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    just looks like regular cut to me with dried blood on the beak. you can use some antibiotic ointment on it but dont use the one with pain reliever it is supposed to be toxic to chickens

3. lzrdwright

lzrdwright New Egg

Oct 12, 2012

4. lzrdwright

lzrdwright New Egg

Oct 12, 2012
    Okay I will try some antiobotic ointment tomorrow. I checked the rest of my girls and I now think they have fowl pox!!! I keep my girls house very clean but the Mosquitos have Been .horrible. I have tried all the natural remedies I have read about. Now it war!!

5. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i have never heard of fowl pox but it sounds scary, do you have water nearby?

6. lzrdwright

lzrdwright New Egg

Oct 12, 2012
    Well yes and no....we have a horrible mosquito problem....Going to buy netting today to fix that problem....I am not a Vet but from everything I have read on the internet (got to be true if its on the internet) that is my diagnosis. I should have given them a shot at 12 weeks but did not. Bad parenting I suppose but who knew....this is my first flock. It will run its course from all I have read just like in humans. I hope so I just feel awful!!

7. granny hatchet

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    hahahha, yup, if you read it here its bound to be true! hope they get better fast. bad mommy, bad mommy! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by