What is wrong with my speckled sussex hen?

Tanner88

Hatching
6 Years
Sep 19, 2013
One of my speckled sussex hens that hatched on 5/15 seems to be sick. She seems very lethargic and moves around very little. She keeps her head down and her eyes closed. I first noticed this on Sunday (9/15) and she has been in a dog crate since then. I have been giving her probiotics and electrolytes. She has not improve at all, and I am kind of surprised that she is still hanging in there. Is there something else that I can do? She hasn't laid an egg yet, so I was wondering if she is egg bound. I do not feel anything. She doesn't seem to be trying to push either. She has been eating quite a bit, and is pooping normally.

Thanks for the help,
Tanner

If I were you, I'd do a treatment dose of Corid in the drinking water. The dose for Corid 9.6% solution is 2 tsp per gallon of water. The Corid 20% dispersible powder is 1 tsp per gallon of water. Treat for 5-7 days, then use vitamins and probiotics in the water for three days. Let us know how the bird improves each day.

You might as well treat the rest of the flock as well. The dosage for prevention is half of the treatment dose for 9.6% liquid and 20% powder I mentioned above.

Check her crop for sour crop or impacted crop. Crops are best checked first thing in the morning, but check it tonight too.Check around and under her vent for mites and lice. Take a rubber glove, lubricate a finger, and insert it 1 1/2 inches into the vent to feel for an egg. Since she is only 4 months old it seems a little early for that though.

One of my speckled sussex hens that hatched on 5/15 seems to be sick. She seems very lethargic and moves around very little. She keeps her head down and her eyes closed. I first noticed this on Sunday (9/15) and she has been in a dog crate since then. I have been giving her probiotics and electrolytes. She has not improve at all, and I am kind of surprised that she is still hanging in there. Is there something else that I can do? She hasn't laid an egg yet, so I was wondering if she is egg bound. I do not feel anything. She doesn't seem to be trying to push either. She has been eating quite a bit, and is pooping normally.

Thanks for the help,
Tanner
Not likely egg bound at 16 weeks old. Have you had them on medicated feed or any other coccidiosis preventative?

Last edited:
I have tried to feel her crop and have not noticed any bulges. She has not been on medicated feed, and I don't believe she had any shots. I got her in June so I'm not sure.

One thing that I am worried about is that she has not been drinking very much water, however, I have been making a watery mash with the feed. Should I try to squirt some of the water with corid down her throat, or will she get enough medication through the mash?

Today I noticed that that she seemed to be more alert, and she had her eyes open. One thing that did bother me though is that she is very clumsy. She tried to take a step, and fell on her head. Is this just because she has been in the crate for a week, or is it a sign of something else?

And secondly, I just wanted to make sure that Corid is the right product to be giving her. The bottle said nothing about chickens- only cows. Does corid make several products, or is it one treats all?

Thanks

Many things we use for chickens is labeled for cows and goats. You have the right stuff. I hope she gets better soon.

Forgot to add: She is weak and may not be able to hold herself up yet. Give her a day then try to get her to stand with you supporting her if she can't manage on her own. It's like us when we have to be on bed rest for something, the first couple of days off you are very weak.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, hopefully I will start to see a lot of improvement now that she is on medication.

Back
Top Bottom