What is wrong with my sweet boy?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by littledirtlanefarms, May 17, 2011.

1. littledirtlanefarms

littledirtlanefarms Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern NC
    I hatched this guy out about 16 weeks ago. At 4 weeks he started acting funny. It progressively got worse. One of his legs is dead? The other is weak...he drags himself around and dies just fine other than the leg issue. He is very unbalanced and has always been a bit wobbly. He is a buff orp/EE cross...he is just the sweetest guy, I couldn't bear to put him down. He is happy go lucky and has friends...

Here he is...he just had a bath, so excuse the wet feathers...
    [​IMG]
    Here is the foot, the leg feels dead all the way up to the thigh, it just hangs now...
    [​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Could be marek's disease. I recommend that you read up on it and decide if this is what you're dealing with.

3. kelar

kelar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    yacolt
    Symptoms are certainly similar to those of Marek's Disease which causes nerve damage. If so, he is infectious to the other birds or any that have not been exposed. So sorry:(

4. littledirtlanefarms

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern NC
    The only symptom that is like Mareks is the paralysis....his eyes are fine and the base of his feathers are fine. He has been with other chickens for 16 weeks and no others have shown signs of illness...so I don't know that it is mareks??? Crazy things happen around my farm! I have the cleanest coops in town and my chickens are the happiest in town. Why does all the bad stuff happen to us???

5. PDurkin

PDurkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2010
    Country boy at heart
    Do his nails still grow?

6. littledirtlanefarms

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern NC
    Quote:Yes...his nails still grow. He is not sick acting at all. Very happy boy.

7. alabamachick

alabamachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2010
    Alabama
    Could it possibly be broken? Or dislocated?
    Maybe try some vitamins mixed in the water? If he's getting around ok(ish) and doesnt seem to be depressed and in pain, I suppose you could keep him as a house chicken? I would worry about leaving him out with your flock as he may get picked on. Perhaps try splinting it and see if that help?

8. rhs7111

rhs7111 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Slipped tendon! That is exactly how slipped tendon is typically presented, with the bird walking on the "elbow" and the foot/toes curled inward. The tendon needs (needed) to be reset immediately otherwise the bone grows in length but the tendon doesn't get gradually stretched along with the bone growth, at which point the tendon slip won't be repairable, resulting in a permanently cripped bird. How long ago did this happen? Do a search here for "slipped tendon" and you'll find info on how to repair the slip, if it isn't too late. Good luck!

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  9. littledirtlanefarms

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern NC
    Uh oh....it has been well over a month!!!!

10. kelar

kelar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    yacolt
    A slipped tendon, in my experience, usually presents itself as an acute & sudden lameness, not a gradual onset. Marek's presents in many different ways and may only affect one part of the body at first, but the tumors will continue to grow and eventually cause death. They often eat, drink and seem perfectly normal except for the lameness. It's hard to say though if the other leg is weak because it's taking all the growing weight of the little guy or it is also affected. You can always give him some time and see if he continues to get around. If it gets worse, you will be having to hand feed and water continuously and that is a big job. I've had birds become partially crippled for various reasons and still get around ok - I make my determination about keeping them alive based on whether or not they can feed and water themselves. If not, humane euthanasia. Very very hard to do, but sometimes necessary if they have no quality of life.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by