what is wrong with my tiny flock :/

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by whychickens2, Sep 20, 2016.

1. whychickens2

whychickens2 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2016
    florida
    Hi, i have been reading posts but have never posted.
    I recently got pulletts two from a customer of mine black amarucans (sp?) He breeds them they are 4-5m old and two more from a lady who also breeds chickens i got those three weeks later. Anyways, a couple weeks went by everyone was friendly, happy and eatting then one day four wks ago i noticed one from the second breeder and one from the first were sick. So sick they wouldnt open eyes or barely eat and would fall face first from beung sick... I went on here read up on stuff talked to the second breeder and came up with tylan 50 and electrolytes in water. I did the tylan and forced water for three days and all seemed great. I waS out of commission i had surgery so my hubby ,whom is far less observant has been caring for them. Went out there two days ago and the same two are having issues again so it seems. The one will not open or use her right eye at all no feathers around the eye to the top of her head shes a polish and same with the other although she will open it..... i put tylan drops in the eyes and started tylan again. They seem to all scratch there heads a lot. Not sure if its mosquitos or something going on. Ive wanted chickens forever and this is slowly wearing me down. Have i reached the pt where i need to cull and start over or what. They all eat and drink just fine but why always sickly???

Thank u!

2. CuckooOrpington

CuckooOrpington Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2016
    Australia
    Hi,

It sounds like your birds have a respiratory disease of some sort. The reason it came back is because a majority of respiratory diseases are never truly cured; an antibiotic will clear up the symptoms, make the birds healthy to eat drink etc but the birds will always be carriers of that disease. So if they get stressed, their immune system drops and the bacteria/virus/protozoa they are infected with will resurface. This doesn't mean you can't have a happy healthy flock, it simply means the birds have to be treated correctly and never sold to anyone else to prevent the sickness spreading.

It can help if you identify the disease. Many respiratory diseases have similar symptoms and can all be treated with similar antibiotics. A majority of them are caused by bacteria, some common ones include Mycoplasma Gallisepticum, Mycoplasma Synoviae (or infectious Synovitis), Infectious Coryza, CRD, Cholera and Ornithobacteriosis. Virus born respiratory diseases include Infectious Laryngotracheitis (ILT) and Bronchitis

You can do further research on these diseases but my guess is Mycoplasma Gallisepticum (MG), mild ILT or Bronchitis.

Coryza is another one that I might suspect but it usually worsens quickly until the bird has a puss filled eye and little energy. Birds with coryza will be very fowl smelling around the face once the eye worsens. MG can be defined by the sick hens sweet smelling breath. ILT, once left to worsen will eventually clog the birds throat so if you eventually see her gasping and 'cawing' it may be ILT.

The only way to get them diagnosed is by taking them to a vet but if that isn't an option you can simply treat them with a generic respiratory disease antibiotic. the best ones include Tylan, Baytril and Gallymycin.

You will have to treat the birds with one hit of doses over a period of three to seven days - if you gradually treat birds the disease will mutate and become immune. Once the symptoms clear up, treat them for a further 3 days otherwise the symptoms are likely to come back (this is probably what happened with your first treatment). This disease could have originated from their environment (viruses and bacteria that is harmful is found everywhere - the wind, wild birds, the shoes of visitors and so on). I suggest you disinfect the coop with a strong disinfectant such as Virkon S or bleach. Do this once a week.

Also, check the infected hens closed eye - is it 'glued' shut by a crusty substance? Is it watery and bubbly in the corners? The fact that she is lethargic means she is not in a good condition and needs treatment. It is likely that all the flock members are now carriers of this disease.

I hope this helps.

3. whychickens2

Sep 20, 2016
    florida
    Thank so much. I will stick with the tylan for a few more days and bleach the coop and everything. The eye on one is kinda coverd in a white film and my little polish girl the eye has actually sunken in and around the eye is now featherless and crusty.... man i feel awful. Im a vet tech but avian is all new to me. I havnt even got an egg from anyone yet but these chickens have really worked there way into my heart. I called a mobile vet hopefully she calls tomorrow. I didnt want to risk spreading this so i didnt want to bring them into a vet clinic :/. Fingers crossed!

4. CuckooOrpington

CuckooOrpington Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2016
    Australia
    The white film over her eye is the early development of puss.. in order to help cure her you can administer eye drops or warm salt water each day. The one with the sunken eye should have the same treatment. In some cases chickens can lose there eyes because of these diseases however one eyed chickens get around fine. Good luck.

5. whychickens2

Sep 20, 2016
    florida
    Ok thank u again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by