What is wrong with one week old gosling vent

Sweetbasil

Chirping
Mar 22, 2020
Milton, FL
I have a gosling that is one week old with a dirty vent. I’ve bathed her twice now. She eats drinks and poops the typical liquidy brown poop but vent stays sort of poopy all the time and there is a small bald patch right above it. I’ve attached a photo. Is this normal? What does a normal vent look like? And is this bald spot normal? Thanks for any advice!

Attachments

• 60C41114-F4AE-4AA8-8A85-C2AFAC6729F4.jpeg
    60C41114-F4AE-4AA8-8A85-C2AFAC6729F4.jpeg
    489.8 KB · Views: 69
This is not normal. Clip away all the down around the vent to make cleaning easier. If this continues consider antibiotics for respiratory infection.

It looks like pasty butt to me:
https://www.raising-happy-chickens.com/pasty-butt.htmlDo you think that could be it? That is for chicks, but the symptoms and treatment are the same in goslings. I think it is more common in goslings who are too hot rather than too cold, goslings don't get cold as easily as chicks do. A healthy vent should be light pink with no swelling, and no poops stuck to it at all. Pasty butt is usually pretty easily treated but keep in mind that if she cannot poop it can become fatal pretty quickly. Is she eating and drinking normally? I hope she'll be okay!

Last edited:
It looks like pasty butt to me:
https://www.raising-happy-chickens.com/pasty-butt.htmlDo you think that could be it? That is for chicks, but the symptoms and treatment are the same in goslings. I think it is more common in goslings who are too hot rather than too cold, goslings don't get cold as easily as chicks do. A healthy vent should be light pink with no swelling, and no poops stuck to it at all. Pasty butt is usually pretty easily treated but keep in mind that if she cannot poop it can become fatal pretty quickly. Is she eating and drinking normally? I hope she'll be okay!
I had pasty butt in a chick and cleared that up pretty quickly with apple cider vinegar in water and regular cleaning but this doesn’t seem like pasty butt to me since she is eating drinking and pooping regularly and it’s more so around her vent as opposed to blocking her vent.

Back
Top Bottom