1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is wrong with them? OPEN MOUTHS.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ophelia3178, Aug 31, 2014.

1. ophelia3178

ophelia3178 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2014
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Yesterday evening, most of my chicks mouths were open. I thought 'hey, maybe they are hot.' I went into the coop, lol yes, and it did not seem to be hot for me. The temperature was 20-22 outside, and the lamp isn't a heat lamp. OH and a more serious issue, my Ameracauna, Morgoth always has a wet face, and one of her eyes, since hatched always leaks and is closed a lot. What is wrong with the poor girl?

[​IMG]

Morgoth is the girl in the video.

[​IMG]

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Yes that is how they do when it is hot. They can stand cold better than hot. Not sure on the eye.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    That is a classic "I'm hot and trying to cool off" pose with the panting and spread wing set. It may have only been 20-22 outside - but the temperature inside can be warmer. The pictures don't show a lot of the coop, but what I do see does not show any ventilation - what is the ventilation for the coop? A closed up coop with little/no ventilation can quickly and easily heat beyond the outside temperatures when you put some heat generating chickens into it - and even a non-heat lamp bulb puts out a good deal of heat, especially in a closed in space.

4. ophelia3178

Jun 16, 2014
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    getting better ventilation now. thanks

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

A fan is always a good idea. Direct it so they can sit in the breeze if they want to. Moving the air around them and letting if blow over them dissipates body heat and makes a world of difference for them, just like it does for us.

6. ophelia3178

Jun 16, 2014
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Realized the coop had no ventilation !!! maybe a small hole or two, but that's it!!!! I feel like such a bad mother. Getting it all fixed today though. my poor girls. and when it does get too hot I will place a fan inside! thanks :)

7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    You aren't a bad chicken mama - you are an inexperienced one who didn't know something was needed, now knows and is taking corrective action - that is a GOOD chicken mama!

8. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

X2! We all had to start somewhere and when I look back at some of the things I did way, way back when...and when there was no internet...[​IMG] good heavens. A good owner is one who investigates, asks questions, picks up new ideas and learns things all the time. A bad owner does not care enough to do any of those things. So yes, you are a good owner!

9. ophelia3178

Jun 16, 2014
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    phsaw! [​IMG] Thanks everyone! This site is so useful [​IMG]

10. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Make sure you use hardware cloth to cover the vented areas and not chicken wire.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by