what is wrong with these eggs?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newhenstein castle, Jun 19, 2010.

1. newhenstein castle

newhenstein castle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Vancouver
    Hi, about a week or so ago one of my chickens started laying these white eggs with a brown spot on the fat end of the egg. The eggs all of my chickens lay are brown normally so this is weird. The white egg is fine aparently. We still eat it but maybe we shouldn't? Is that hen sick? Missing something in her diet? None of them sneezes or acts strangely. They get layer pellets and table scraps. About 2-3 times a week they get to roam about the yard and find themselves some treats. Hmmm, any ideas?

Conny

Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. buffbeauty

buffbeauty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Central Arkansas
    She ran out of dye/food coloring. Just call up the Easter bunny and he'll come fill her back up. [​IMG] [​IMG] Sorry. I don't really know. I would imagine they are ok though. Hope someone knows.

3. Dora'smom

Dora'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2009
    Oregon
    I don't think there is probably anything different about these eggs than the others. How long have your birds been laying? The longer they have been laying, often the lighter the eggs become. There is also variation in color on the egg itself. For instance---I have an EE who has always laid a beautiful light seafoam green (some call it light blue) egg. She has had slightly darker and slightly lighter eggs---some with a considerably darker bluish area on one end. I also have a Welsummer who typically lays a dark terra cotta egg, but lately most of her eggs have been lighter, and most have been speckled. I also either have colored or brown eggs---no white, but some of our eggs from birds who have been laying since last summer are now very light. . . kind-of tinted or whitish looking. It's all normal is my point, and unless you notice something different within the yolk or white after breaking the egg, I would say it is just normal variation.

4. mom2jedi

mom2jedi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Typically, egg color gets lighter as the hen gets closer to molting. Once she's done the egg color will be back to normal. This is most noticeable in dark egg layers like Dora's mom's welsummer.

5. newhenstein castle

Jun 18, 2009
    Vancouver
    Ahhh, Thanks I knew there was an easy eggsplanation. Let's see if there will be feathers soon.

Very funny about calling the Easter Bunny....
    Conny

6. newhenstein castle

Jun 18, 2009
    Vancouver
    Quote:So just an update. Today the white egg was missing. When I cleaned out the poop I found the egg underneath the roost. It had a soft shell. They had this before, just when they started laying a year ago and do I dare say when they went into molt? Does this fit the profile? So, nothing to worry about just molting probably?

Thanks again. I love this site, so much help.
    C

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by