what is wrong with this baby chick? (pic)

anniemary

Songster
10 Years
Mar 23, 2009
We have a baby chick who is walking very funny. It's almost as though her/his legs grew faster than his body. He walks flat-footed or on his elbows. It appears like he can't support his body. He is about two weeks old. We are feeding non-medicated chick starter and plain water. I put a tiny bit of vitamins a few days ago, but don't do it regularly. Is this a vitamin deficiency? I was planning on moving the chicks out of the brooder box tomorrow because it's getting a bit small in there for them. Did I wait too long for this one?

25787_img_1433.jpg

25787_img_1431.jpg

HI- Can he bend his ankles? Maybe little splints to encourage the correct standing position? I am not a chicken expert, but if he was a horse I would be splinting and making sure he got vitamens! Of course I currently have one who only uses one leg and a splint didnt help very much- but it did initially let my little scooter learn to stand. Good Luck! I hope that little one learns to stand!!

from my chicken health handbook, looks like maybe thiamin or Vit D, phosphorus or calcium... though it does say it can be nerve or muscle damage, or even a genetic issue.
sad.png
I would try good feed, some extra vitamins and sunlight, a good surface to stand on, and see how it goes.
fl.gif

Update: Our baby chick is now walking more normally. He still rests on his hocks but is using his legs much better. I think it will just take some time.

I moved all the babies into a sectioned off area of our coop, so they have lots more room. Also, I've been putting vitamins in their water. I forgot to do that in the beginning
sad.png
, so thank you for the reminder!!

And next time I'll post this in the right place!!

Thanks again!!

Back
Top Bottom