What is wrong with this baby chick? pic

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TexasChick09, May 26, 2010.

1. TexasChick09

TexasChick09 Songster

Sep 25, 2009
    I know there is a breed of chicken that is naked necked, but I don't own any of those and this egg was hatched by one of my hens from one of my eggs. He has had the bald neck and is bald on most of his head since hatched a few weeks ago. Is there something wrong with him to cause this? Otherwise he seems just fine. Do you think he will stay like this?

Photo taken with my phone, but I think you can see it well enough.

[​IMG]

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3383/4641287233_b76f2234de_b.jpg

2. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Songster

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    He looks like a necked nekker. [​IMG]

3. TexasChick09

TexasChick09 Songster

Sep 25, 2009
    How would I get a naked necker out of non-naked necker chickens? Is naked neckerness a recessive gene trait instead of a breed? [​IMG] Say non-naked necker 3 times really fast..lol.

4. Neilette

Neilette Songster

Apr 18, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah, it's a gene. In making Showgirl chickens, breeders attempt to keep that gene(s) strong. Could be, your chicken is a first-gen naked nekker -- in that, the gene responsible mutated just right just like the first time anything new happens!

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:I had trouble the FIRST time, much less a third! Yer making me giggle. In my cubicle at work. Stop it. People already wonder about me.

6. pkw

pkw Songster

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    I agree with what everyone else has already said. It could be one of your chickens has the naked neck gene. The gene does skip generations. For instance my friend has only rhode island reds and turkens (naked necks). One of her RIR roos mated with a black turken and she ended up with a fully feathered black rhode island chick. A coyote hybrid dog got in her yard and killed off nearly all her flock and got that one. I have some of her eggs in my incubator right now so it should be interesting what I get. I like turkens. They have such a calm temperment. I was given a turken long ago and since then they are my favorite even though I have other breeds. Your chick is very cute.

7. PoultryLover007

PoultryLover007 In the Brooder

May 24, 2010
    Are naked neckers the same as Turkens? LOL

8. bel

bel Songster

Jan 15, 2010
    East bay
    Sure the hen wasn't fooling around with some turkey vultures? [​IMG]
    I would go with her being a a naked neck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: