What is wrong with this beak!!!??? OMG!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by zookeeptd, Mar 15, 2012.

1. zookeeptd

zookeeptd Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    North Mississippi
    I just checked on Bannies and saw this. I try to put it back in line but won't stay!!! Help plz!!![​IMG]

2. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    That is a Cross Beak. It happens from inbreeding and poor genetics. Did you get the birds from a hatchery?

Nate

3. 9Catsz

9Catsz Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2011
    Southeastern Missouri
    Inbreeding and poor genetics are not the only way to get a cross beak. I bought eggs from show stock chickens and got a cross beak and severely deformed toes. My hatchery chicks produce perfect little peepers.

4. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma

I didn't say that was the only way. Not all hatcheries produce cross beaks. Some breeders breed Brother to Sister so many time that they get so inbred. 1 way to not have that happen is to line breed. This should produce good chicks. Breed Mother to son, father to daughter. grandparents to grandchildren, and never brother to sister. Sometimes it just happens, just a deformity.

Nate

5. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    I have one with the same thing. Mine kept getting more and more crooked. Eventually it leveled out, I guess and stopped.
    (s)he is 3 weeks old now and keeping up with the best of them. I definitely won't be hatching her babies. (If it turns out to be a girl) But I say, if it can keep up I'm not gonna kill it.
    Other than that he's perfectly normal. ;)

6. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    [​IMG]
    Not the best pic, but here's mine.

7. zookeeptd

zookeeptd Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    North Mississippi
    She came from TSC in North Miss. 2 wks ago. So I may not lose her?

8. LaynaDon95

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    If you got her 2 weeks ago, then I doubt it. Is she visibly smaller than the others? If not, then chances are she'll be fine. I have no idea how mine eats, but obviously he does.

9. mommabice

mommabice Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2012
    Mississippi
    My Coop
    I'm in North Mississippi too. :)

10. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    I've got my little boy who's almost a year old now that has a horrible scissor beak. He can't eat like a normal chicken, he gets fed chick mash mixed in baby food and raw eggs. As long as I take the time to feed him separately he's been doing just fine, big, healthy, loud rooster! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by