What is wrong with this chicken? Could mites be causing this?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicken legs, May 18, 2008.

1. chicken legs

chicken legs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2007
    SW, CT
    Otherwise she acts normally except for seeming tired and resting a lot more than the others. I thought maybe someone who knows more than myself (alot of people [​IMG]) could possible tell from her egg. She's an EE, over 1.5 years and her eggs lack in shine and color. It has a chalky look rather than the sheen or dullish shine that her friends have. I'm worried about her health. I provide Blue Seal crumbles daily and the treat of the day (goat cheese, cooked pasta, bread, yogurt, watermelon, apple, banana, squash, peas). They also free range everyday. I'm stumped as they all eat the same stuff and the others seem to be fine. Something just doesn't seem right. I don't know much about chickens but I do know it doesn't 'feel' right. Thanks for any help in advance.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Click on picture for bigger one.
    Egg1
    [​IMG]
    Egg2
    [​IMG]
    I took this in 'night vision' mode. I thought it would
    illuminate the brown flecks that seem to be in the shell.
    Egg3
    [​IMG]

2. knippk

knippk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Grayson KY
    Hey ....is she acting diff???? Most hens have to be in pretty good health to lay! Some chickens just lay dull eggs. Good luck with her.

Last edited: May 18, 2008
  3. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    Hey chicken legs!

I wouldn't worry about her eggs, I don't think it has anything to do with what she's got. Ours lay bumpy big eggs, eggs with clusters of bumps on them, white speckled eggs at times, and just plane ugly eggs. How long has she been acting tired? Maybe it's worms? you might want to try worming her. Is she loosing any wieght? That's another sign of worms. We also had a rooster that acted like that (more tired, didn't want to attack our feet as much, etc.) and lost his crow. We put terrimyacin in his water for about a week and he got all better.

4. chicken legs

chicken legs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2007
    SW, CT
    Thanks so much for responding and helping me brainstorm.
    knippk...she's not acting much diff.
    pinkfeather! [​IMG] Thanks for the post. It was so neat to see you yesterday and thanks for the advice. [​IMG] Love that goat! I learned so much from you and your family yesterday. This is so cool, I love meeting people in person and then seeing them here.

5. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* The sheen is from the "bloom", that wet protein coating they finish the egg with-- Does she drink enough water??? Might need a moisture boost. Even mild dehydration could make her tired as well.

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  6. JackieK318

JackieK318 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Missouri
    My Lucy lays dull eggs - always has and is the perkiest of them all. You might just want to watch if she is laying down a lot. Also, observe her poops. May not be the best job, but poop can speak volumes about a chicken's health.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by