What is wrong with this egg?!?!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenPeep, Oct 2, 2011.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    I went to check on my hens today, and i found a strange egg. Is was just a regular egg, but it was covered in white pasty stuff. [​IMG] It looks like someone smothered it in something! There was none of the white stuff in the nesting box.
    I have one hen that has been laying giant eggs. She is a black Sex Link and has been laying double-yolkers. I wonder if this came form her?!? Heres a pic of the egg. The camera makes it look a creamy-yellowish color but is really white. It also has some wood chips stuck to it, so maybe it was wet, then dried and hardened. What happeded?!?! Should i be worried?!?!?!?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jloeffler

Jloeffler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    Maybe extra calcium deposited?? Not sure, but I'll be checking back to see what others say!

3. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    They are eating Layena laying food. Could that be a problem or... something?!?!?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  4. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    someone I'm sure will correct me if I'm wrong.. but I belive that is considered calcium deposits on an egg. of course, the color is messed up, and the wood chips are stuck to it, but usually I'll find an egg or two with this problem... This year, I had one particular hen, who kept laying these, and has since gone into a molt... FOR EVER.

Maybe someone else will have some input...

5. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    You can see that under the pasty stuff, there is a perfectly normal egg! It has the same color and everything!!

6. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Here is a bump in hopes someone knows whats wrong will come around!

7. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Maybe extra urate secretion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by