1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

What is wrong with this hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tiggerandfriends, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Tiggerandfriends

Tiggerandfriends In the Brooder

Aug 10, 2017
    55F760B7-2C4D-4AAE-952C-9205454C4D37.jpeg 452D1203-1E46-4C2C-B895-9E32B271A0F1.jpeg 452D1203-1E46-4C2C-B895-9E32B271A0F1.jpeg My 2 year old barred rock hen has been limping for a few days. I came home from work today to find that her head appears to be swollen and she can’t open her eyes and all she is doing is laying down. Her head seems to be hot to the touch. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I would hate to put her down.

Attached Files:

2. Tiggerandfriends

Aug 10, 2017
    I poured some cool water on her head and she opened her eyes a little bit. The right is gooey and she won’t open it nearly as much as the left

3. Chickassan

Chickassan Crossing the Road

Limping was the only problem? Where are her head feathers? Was she picked by others? Sorry so many questions but any info is helpful.:)

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  4. Tiggerandfriends

Aug 10, 2017
    Limping was the only problem until today. She has been attacked by my other hens, but her head feathers were gone before they started. My other barred rock hen (her sister) doesn’t have any head feathers either and both their head feathers have been gone for a while. And don’t worry about the questions. Any information is helpful to everyone.

DavisNinja likes this.
  5. Chickassan

Is there any way you can get children's benedryl and give her the smallest dose? That swelling makes me think she's been bitten or stung. She's lying down because she can't see and that's what they do. If you can't get children's 1 half of an adult tablet dissolved in water given by dropper. Try that and see if she improves.

6. Tiggerandfriends

Aug 10, 2017
    Thanks! I’ll definitely try that

7. Chickassan

I hope it helps, she looks so uncomfy.:(

ChickNanny13 likes this.
  8. Tiggerandfriends

Aug 10, 2017
    I hope so too. How much water do I dissolve it in?

9. Chickassan

As little as possible, your'e going to have to dropper it in so just enough to liquify the tablet.

ChickNanny13 and nightowl223 like this.
  10. Tiggerandfriends

Aug 10, 2017
    Ok. I had a liquid jell tablet that I used. She took most of it

nightowl223 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: