What is wrong with this hen?

Remona

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 2, 2011
Hi ya'll! I have 12 RIR hens that are very healthy except for this one. She pulls her feathers out only in the summer. I was told maybe it's mites but it seems to me if it was mites they would all be looking like this. I was told to dust her. I don't like the idea of putting chemicals like seven dust on my animals. Any suggestions? Please help! Thank you!
smile.png

IMG00184-20110803-0714.jpg

I would say mites or fleas maybe. They won't necessarily transfer to the others but they could eventually.
Unfortunately I would also recommend dusting her.
Or maybe if you don't want her in direct contact you could just give her a flea bath and then dust the ground and her bedding...
Sorry if this doesn't help but maybe it will bump you so someone who knows better can help you.

I didn't know chickens get fleas. What would I use? Regular dog flea shampoo? I have 5% seven dust. As much as I hate it that might be a lot easier. I was told to hold her upside down to dust her. Is that the right way?

Last edited:
I've never heard of chickens getting fleas either. But I have used dog flea products to address lice/mite issues. I've used Adams spray on, and many swear by products like Frontline even - the cat doses for large birds, half that for smaller birds. Whatever you use you should avoid getting it in their face (which is why I like the sprays or drop-ons). I would think it'd be hard to avoid the face area with a bird held up-side down... I tried to use powder once and ended up with more on me than on the bird
hmm.png

Thanks for the info ya'll! Lookin' at those lice n mites gave me the hibby jibbies. My head started itchin'
barnie.gif
. It says a mite infestitation can cause decreased egg production, weight loss and decreased appetitie. She ain't got none of that. Frontline on chickens..I learn somethin' new everyday. Do they act like they are on fire after sprayin' 'em with Adams? My dogs hate that stuff. Seems the achohol in it burns the skin.

I've only used the Adams on a bantam roo DH picked up, and it didn't seem to bother him in the slightest. Of course he was pretty stressed at being in a new place anyhow, so he was too overwhelmed with other things to worry about the spray. I think I was more worried than he was - I wasn't too confident about using a dog/cat product on a chicken at the time. Now your girl has a lot of bare skin, so I'd make sure there are no cuts/wounds on her before I'd used a product like that.
Yeah, my cats/dogs always hated it too...lol. But they equally hate Frontline Plus. I think it's the smell more than anything that they hate though. I had one dog that just had to see the box come out and he would go hide
tongue.png

Remona, look closely 1st. There's no sense treating for mites or lice unless you know they have them. And if one does, treat them all. There's not a set of specific symptoms a bird has if they have mites or lice. You have to SEE the mites or lice. And you have to look super super close in the case of mites. They're teeny, smaller than a grain of salt and move quickly. Mites can be found anywhere on the bird. Lice you'll find around their vent. Just pick them up turn them over and go to checking butts. Then check through all their feathers to the skin. But look very closely, wear reading glasses if need be. Mites are easy to miss. I bathe and dip all new birds just like new dogs. Probably overkill but I'm not going to risk it. I also use Ivomec injectable but I don't inject it, I give them 4-5 drops on the back of the neck. The people who are "against" using chemicals to get rid of parasites are the same people with mites and lice on their animals lol
Just because they don't look (or look close enough) does not mean they're not there.

I'm not really an expert, but after reading lots of posts on this forum I have learned a thing or two! Just wanted to say...if you want to get rid of fleas or mites in an all natural fashion you should try food grade Diatomaceous Earth. I have been using it and it works great!! Also great for deworming without the withdrawl from eating the eggs. I found some with added calcium so it helps there too. I put some in the bedding, in the dustbath, and even some in their feed. Oh yeah, and you can even rub some into their feathers with to kill the mites or fleas. Not sure about it working on lice. I would have to google that one. It is supposed to kill anything with an exoskeleton. Roaches, fleas, mite, ticks, and so on.

Last edited:
Diatomaceous Earth! Why didn't *I* think of that! I musta been brain dead yesterday. I use that stuff in my garden! Thanks for all your suggestions folks! I truly appreciate it!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom