What is wrong with this quail? Goodbye little Dizzy.

wbruder17

Songster
9 Years
Jun 7, 2010
Portland, OR
I hatched 7 coturnix quail about 4 weeks ago, using my silkie Mama and her brooding buddy, a bantam cochin. Out of the 7 that hatched, one had a giimpy foot and I think was trampled to death by its Mama. Out of the 6 left, one started off by doing strange backward walks. Now, the bird can't walk at all. It lays on its side and sort of flops and scoots itself around. I think it might be having seizures or mini-strokes. It still eats, while laying on its side, and I hold it in front of the water dish, and it drinks. It gets itself around, somehow, and has survived pretty well so far, all things considered. It gets itself in and out of the "coop" and gets to the food. It can also flap its wings and fly a decent distance if it wants to.

I'm pretty sure it has some kind of neurologic disorder, which I obviously don't want to use for breeding or egg purposes. I know I should probably cull it, but as it is eating, drinking (with help) and able to get where it wants to go, I am wondering whhat to do with it. I know it would have died long ago in the wild.

I'm thinking about giving it its own little cage and making it a special little quail pet, but I don't know if that's really fair to iit. The quality of life isn't terrible, but obviously not ideal.

What would ya'll do? Any thoughts or advice on the situation?

Last edited:
Most Common Nuerologic Disorders In Quail... Traumatic From Flushing (kind Of Uncommon In Cots, Very Common In Bobs) And Encephalitis Which Is Infectious/ Contageous.

Can quail suffer from lysosomal storage disease? I hatched out a pair of emu who had it and they both did the walk backwards thing, and deteriorated quickly. Both were euthanized so I'm not sure how long a natural death would take. It took one a week to go from normal to unable to move and any stimulation caused convultions. The other took about two weeks. LSD's are genetic, something to look up.

Quote:
How can a neorologic disorder be contagious? What are the symptoms of Encephalitis? And, if that is the case, which it very well could be, I would obviously need to get rid of that quail asap.... but would I need to cull the rest of them? They are in an enclosure with 2 chukers....are they susceptible as well/

I just did a little light reading on Encephalitis and found that it will affect pheasants and chukers, but it also said death followed within a few hours and this bird has been aliive for a while with these symptoms. I guess I need to get it out of there, for sure. But, I still don't have the answers I want. Still looking for info.

The other birds in the same enclosure seem fine, so far. The info I looked at did not give any very specific symptoms either.

And, if it IS encephalitits, do I need to cull all of the birds in that pen and start over? What about my pheasants, who are in a different enclosure and have no contact with the quail/ chukers? How does it spread?

None of my chickens are sick at all, and they really don't have any contact with each other....other than that their enclosures are close to each other. Also, don't really know what Marecks looks like in chickens, let alone quail. But, I really don't know either way.

They were raised on medicated feed, if that helps at all.

Last edited:
Quote:
i thought you said a silkie chicken hatched the quail. i thought i read that many chicken disease are transferable from chicken to quail even if your chicks appear healthy? look on forum for mareks? i don't know what diseases quail can have, but mareks causes paralysis and many will continue to eat, some over it and some die.

Quote:
i thought you said a silkie chicken hatched the quail. i thought i read that many chicken disease are transferable from chicken to quail even if your chicks appear healthy? look on forum for mareks? i don't know what diseases quail can have, but mareks causes paralysis and many will continue to eat, some over it and some die.

Yes! You are correct that they were hatched and raised by chickens. Somehow I forgot that. The chickens are very healthy, but as I have learned, chickens can be carriers and not be affected, so I wonder about the quail. I don't know if the disease can be transferred.

Gosh. I learn so much in the process of trying to raise different birds.

Back
Top Bottom