1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what is wrong with this stupid rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by miron28, Jan 19, 2009.

1. miron28

miron28 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    lenoir north carolina
    well i got this rooster about 1 year ago got him when he was a 3 months old and now when i let him out in to the pasture with the rest of my hens he tries to attack me. i had to kick him twice today the second time i kicked him really hard and after that he didn't come back but this is starting to be a every day thing why?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    He sees you as a rival and is trying to prove that he's the Alpha rooster. Check out Rooster Red's page on how to deal with rooster behaviors.

3. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    I have never had a rooster but from what I've read on this site is that he is challanging your authority. He wants to be the alpha male.

There is great debate on this site on ifin you can take that from here or not.

4. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    He looks like a light brown Leghorn. Is he? As far as attacking you, I have a few d'Anvers that do that. It is bothersome, but they are usually excellent breeders.

5. miron28

Sep 8, 2008
    lenoir north carolina
    well what am i going to have to do keep whipping him?

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    No...you pick him up and carry him around for a bit while talking nice to him. Repeat over several days. Seriously.

7. miron28

Sep 8, 2008
    lenoir north carolina
    Quote:what will this do ?

8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Check out my page on roo behavior, the link is in my sig line.

9. Beau coop

Beau coop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    Kicking a rooster?! Oh, do we ever need video! LOL

10. miron28

Sep 8, 2008
    lenoir north carolina
    Quote:yes he is brown leg horn. he is a good watch rooster he doesn't let any other animals near the barn. he follow the girls around but he will not go in to the coop with them i don't know why. if i pick him up and put him in there he goes crazy till i let him out. he hang out in side the barn all night or until i let the girls out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by