What is wrong ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by oesdog, Jul 15, 2010.

1. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    One of my chicks is dropping down and wont stand up on its legs.
    Yesterday it was fine running about the brood box. It has always been a weak chick and that is why its in the brood box. It was hatched 6th June.

I don;t want to lose this one!!!!!!!!!!! He was 6 days late , helped to hatch and had a really bad eye infection for 2 weeks but that is now healed up.

Anyone any suggestions? Oh yeah his poo this morning was just kind of runny clear mucus? He is eating but not as much as before and he is drinking as I am forcing with eye dropper and have vitamins added.

Oesdog - [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  2. cletus the rooster

cletus the rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

i would like to know the answer also i lost 2 last year that had the same problem

3. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
  4. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Quote:Thanks but this bird never had leg or feet issues so it is something else! It isn;t getting bullied as it is in the brooder with only one other and they get on fine infact scream for eachother if seperated so no bullying here. In fact Blue has spent the day laying beside Omlet he is so worried too.

Oesdog

5. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Is the chick too hot? Right now the temps are quite high and if you have a brooder light on as well, then it just may be overheated.

Check for panting. Also the sugar water might cause diarrhea ... that would be a real bad combo with over heating.

6. oesdog

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Rain here in Ireland! - temp is under 80 in brooder as I need it to be less and they are 5 weeks now so have to be room temp and out of it.
    Didn;t put sugar in water Just vitamins and the chick is improving

Thanks
    Oesdog

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by