1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is your best guess on this breed!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lisa81, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Lisa81

Lisa81 Just Hatched

Sep 8, 2016
    I have several 3 week old black chicks that I'm not sure of their breed. We hatched 3 Black Copper Marans and 2 BCM/EE mixes that look alike. The only difference is their legs, 2 hatched with no feathers, 2 with feathers down their leg and this one only has a tiny patch of feathers above the feet. This one grew feathers as fast as the ones that I know are female but it is a lot bigger than any of the other chicks and the comb makes me think it's a male but I'm always second guessing myself and it has dark gray, almost black eyes.
    The chick in front is obviously a boy but with no feathers on his legs, the one in question is behind him, looking at the camera wanting a treat.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    So you are asking if it's a BCM or if it's a mix with EE? Look purebred to me.

3. Lisa81

Lisa81 Just Hatched

Sep 8, 2016
    If it's a mix or not and if I'm right in assuming it's a boy. His leg feathering is weird, he only has one patch of fur right above his feet instead of down his leg. He's also so much bigger than my others except for my Salmon Faverolle and his feathers are growing faster than the one I know for sure is a male, but that one could be one of my mixes. Every thread that I have read about their males states that most grow their feathers a lot slower than their females and they tend to grow slower too. That's what has me confused.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You might have to wait a few more weeks. Color on photos can be off. If it's comb is already pink than more than likely it's a rooster, if it's yellow orange, probably a pullet.

Most mixes exhibit some degree of hybrid vigor and seem to grow fast and bigger that their parents, and some can look purebred even though they are mixed.

I haven't owned any BCM yet, but my understanding is that the feathering isn't always down the whole leg. Unfortunately you will probably have to wait and see how it turns out.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    I agree.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by