1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is your chickens favorite healthy human food?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Nicole01, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    So far I've tried watermelon, apples, pears, grapes, HB eggs, dried oats, sunflower seeds, carrots and homemade bread.

It's a tie with 100% homemade whole wheat bread and sunflower seeds. They do not like fruit at all and they will pick at the cooked carrots(won't eat raw). They get sunflower seeds daily.

I'm trying to supplement with healthy foods for the vitamin intake. I will keep trying. I have some strawberries that need picking. I'll try those today. [​IMG]

2. hickchick55

hickchick55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Have you tried yogurt? That and raisins are my hen's favorites. I also scramble an egg a day for them which disappears in seconds.

3. Sandy16

Sandy16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Atlanta
    Our girls love blueberries, watermelon, spinach, raspberries, yogurt, tomatoes, BOSS, and even pancakes. Yes, they go CRAZY for pancakes!
    [​IMG]

4. bullyforme

bullyforme Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Trololo farm
    blueberries and grapes are my chickens' favorite foods...they also love weeds believe it or not, when I weed my vegetable garden I put the pile in there and they devour it.

5. AKsmama

AKsmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Mine love tomatoes (big or small), cabbage, watermelon, cantaloupe, spinach, kale, strawberries, grapes, raisins, yogurt, frozen peas and corn, cooked potatoes, BOSS. . . forget about most vegetables, cooked or raw. They just don't want those. If you have any freezerburned meat, like ground beef or venison, thaw it out and give it to them. The little dinosaurs love it!

6. Kdub86

Kdub86 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Yogurt!!!! My girls love it.

7. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Sometimes I think the girls' favorite food is whatever I give them at that moment!

8. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    Grapes, tomatoes, cantelope,romaine lettuce, blueberries and scrambled eggs.[​IMG]

9. bullyforme

bullyforme Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Trololo farm
    Oh I forgot canteloupe - my chickens DEVOUR it, I don't cut it up, just slice it in quarters, they eat it rind, seeds & all. [​IMG]

10. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    Carrots. We make juice and give them the remains. THEY LOVE IT!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by