What is your chickens' favorite treat?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by wistlindixie, Mar 25, 2011.

1. wistlindixie

wistlindixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2011
    Just wondering....

2. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    they love tuna, it seems to be some kind of addicting thing to them , i cant seem to make it past the run door without them jumping on me for the can

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  3. kenh2010

kenh2010 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    Idaho
    1. chopped wheatgrass

2. grated carrots

Ken

4. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Fried chicken or canned tuna.

I really haven't found anything they don't like.

5. Captain Carrot

Captain Carrot Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Austria
    Cabbage, I tried hanging it up and it was hanging for three days. I took it down and rolled it across the run for them and they pounced on it.

Carrots, either grated or boiled whole.

Melon, and melon seeds.

Zucchini, home grown until it's HUGE with massive seeds inside. I cut them in half length ways.

Pasta, although it's not the best treat for them.

And of course meal worms and crickets. I get them from the local pet shop. I don't feed insects in the warmer months. They can catch their own.

6. nurseshelly

nurseshelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Gilbert AZ
    Mine LOVE weeds of any kind (well of the kinds we have). We have dandelion, cow thistle, spiny lettuce, mallow, and grass weeds - the grass type ones or lawn clippings are one of their favorites! They also get some scratch and flax seed once a day and love that! They also love grape leaves [​IMG]
    Must try carrots [​IMG]

7. nurseshelly

nurseshelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Gilbert AZ
    OH, forgot about the worms!!! Love meal worms and wax worms - they run around like crazy afraid someone will steal their treat [​IMG]

8. ralleia

ralleia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    Grasshoppers and fresh beetle grubs out of the ground. There's some remarkable football-like action when those get tossed into the chicken yard!

9. easteregger96

easteregger96 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2011
    Greene County
    Mine love any table scraps or leftovers out of the fridge. Veggie garden scraps too. I feed them cereal sometimes too. They love cereal! Fresh out of the box, just throw it down and its gone! Sometimes I can't even get it that far. If my red rooster figures it out before anyone else does, he will start jumping for it and sometimes ends up on my lap.

10. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Ripe dandelion seeds. They just love them so much! After than, dandelion petals and hard boiled eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by