What is your Chicken's Favourite Food? (List 3 only)

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Gold Coaster, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Gold Coaster

Gold Coaster Out Of The Brooder

Hello everyone,

I really hope this thread is not a repeat of a topic that may have been posted up in the past. However, I would really like to know what your chicken's favourite foods are. By favourites I mean something that sends them wild even if you offered it up to them daily!

I am pretty sure that once a few members have submitted their lists we will discover certain foods which form a majority consensus between chicken flocks, while other lists might provide an insight into new foods that we have yet to try and offer to our chickens!

Please list only 3 all-time favourite chicken treats, with 1 being the highest and so on. I hope this will prove to be an interesting and fun topic.

Here is my list to share:

1. Bugs including meal worms!
    2. Sweet Corn (cobs or kernels)
    3. Grated Cheese

Cheers,
    Gold Coaster

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  2. Stormy Autumn

Stormy Autumn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Florida
    I have ducks, not chickens, but their favorite treats are:

1. Bugs including meal worms! (small world, huh!?)
    2. Romaine Lettuce or Leaf Lettuce
    3. Mushrooms

I hope you don't mind me adding a new category- the least favorite!
    Mine is thawed frozen blueberries. They just circled around the bowl eyeballing them suspiciously. When I came back later, the blueberries hadn't even been touched and were covered with ants.

3. Gold Coaster

Hello Stormy Autumn,

Thanks for adding your list - ducks are most perfectly welcome as are any other fowl.

Wow mushrooms! That's one I've never tried. I knew I would be able to learn something by starting this topic.

The least favourite list is also a great idea and I would have to agree with you on your choice. Thawed frozen berries of any sort are snubbed by my flock of four, yet they have completely raided my raspberry, blueberry and mulberry bushes and even when the berries are still not even ripe! Fresh is best I guess. [​IMG]

Cheers,
    Gold Coaster

4. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    These days, probably "bugs, stale bread, and azolla," in that order. But it's a tough call...

5. Gold Coaster

Hello Sky,

Thanks for your input!

I had to look up azolla because I hadn't heard of it until now. It's an aquatic fern "super food" for livestock (dairy cattle, pigs, ducks, and chickens) from what I've read and is rich in proteins, essential amino acids, vitamins and minerals. Do you know if it only grows near dams/ponds?

I wonder if I can get my hands on some here in Australia.

Cheers,
    Gold Coaster

6. Mule Chick

Mule Chick Out Of The Brooder

Aug 14, 2008
    Mine love
    mealworms
    hard boiled egg mixed with yogurt
    the heels of Dave's Good Seed Bread

7. TheLoveShack

TheLoveShack Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2012
    Wilmington, NC
    I will be watching this thread! Ours are still on starter gro, looking forward to giving them treats! Where do you get the meal worms?

8. Stormy Autumn

Apr 6, 2011
    Florida
    That reminds me. Mine also like to eat toes.

9. Stormy Autumn

Apr 6, 2011
    Florida
    You can get them at the pet shop. They come in a little tub of sawdust. My sister keeps mealworms in the refrigerator for her lizards. Apparently the cold temperature makes them kind of go into hibernation so they stay alive with no care for a really long time. You can also raise your own mealworms. The worms grow up to be little shiny black beetles and they reproduce really easily.

10. jenna76

jenna76 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2012
    Grass, and gophers. Needless to say this isnt what we feed them but as free range chickies they eat what they want and these are good eatings for them I suppose.
    Odd things.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by