What is your Christmas dinner menu?

3goodeggs

pays attention sporadically
10 Years
May 22, 2009
North Central Florida
What is your must have dish?

My son loves wild rice stuffing, but I usually serve that with salmon, and this year we are having ham.

Mac and cheese goes so well with ham, but I have sweet potatoes.

I think I want broccoli casserole, but I have a lot of carrots...

And a big green salad would be good, But I have all this citrus.

I want cornbread pudding, but the boy has requested Red lobster biscuits.

So far it looks like it will be a huge dinner for four people.

What are you all making?

Hey 3goodeggs, you're making me hungry!

DH & I haven't really talked about the holiday menu yet, but I'm thinking since we went to friends for Thanksgiving (which meant no leftovers for us
sad.png
), we'll have more of a Thanksgiving dinner. I'm thinking turkey, mashed sweet potatoes, maybe some green bean casserole, homemade dinner rolls and OF COURSE pumpkin pie. This is all subject to change but it really does sound good and I love Thanksgiving leftovers!

Oh, and maybe/probably some of this:

Cheers!

I'm leaning toward ham, but the guys are wanting prime rib. We'll see.....

Regardless we'll have homemade green bean casserole, roasted veggies, a low carb pumpkin pie or cheesecake. Our nod to carbs will be either stuffing or mashed taters, and then those kind of icky white grocery store rolls my boys just love. Maybe a low carb-ish apple crisp, something like that, with real whipped cream. Gravy, of course.

-having the traditional ham around here. (would prefer a fresh ham like my grandmother used to make, but will be serving the family's favorite spiral-sliced, honey ham instead) -potato casserole, fresh hen and dressing, cauliflower with cheese/mushroom sauce, green beans from the can
hmm.png
(per the family's request), stuffed celery, rolls, pecan pie, candy cane punch, and homemade candies. I'll try to refrain from fetching herbs from the garden for seasoning the meal......as the hubby and kids stare as if I'm from outer space when I come in with a handful of fresh "greenery". The son stated recently, "how deceitful - there's leaves in the middle of the meat. That's just wrong" due to my attempt at placing herbs inside sliced chicken breasts for flavor. Plain palates prevail 'round this place. -guess the herbs will be hung in the coop for added fragrance. The gals don't mind.
tongue.png

Last edited:
Funny about the herbs,- but sad. They are missing out!
Our school district gave all the kids who wanted them the flu mist vaccine. Knowing that he would get run down from it, I pillaged the herb garden and made some hearty healthful soup- with the idea that it is medicine, he doesn't have to like it.
It was so good.
And I do not really know what I did.
hmm.png

I totally forgot about dessert.
Mincemeat. I love it. I do not think the boy has ever had it, so a pumpkin as a back up.
I need to haul in more friends.

@NorthFlChick, We went to friends for Thanksgiving too. The next morning my son said the only down side to having Thanksgiving at John's is no leftovers!
He looked so sad, I went and bought a turkey breast and some stuffing and we had thanksgiving again on Friday.

Nothing worse than a hungry sad teenager pining for a turkey sandwich.

Our school district gave all the kids who wanted them the flu mist vaccine. Knowing that he would get run down from it, I pillaged the herb garden and made some hearty healthful soup- with the idea that it is medicine, he doesn't have to like it.
It was so good.
-sounds good!! Whenever I brew up some herb tea with a bit of honey and lemon, the family clears the room! (have been accused of "witch doctoring" on the occasion.)
lau.gif

It was so good.
And I do not really know what I did.
hmm.png

I totally forgot about dessert.
Mincemeat. I love it. I do not think the boy has ever had it, so a pumpkin as a back up.
I need to haul in more friends.

@NorthFlChick, We went to friends for Thanksgiving too. The next morning my son said the only down side to having Thanksgiving at John's is no leftovers!
He looked so sad, I went and bought a turkey breast and some stuffing and we had thanksgiving again on Friday.

Nothing worse than a hungry sad teenager pining for a turkey sandwich.
That reminds me of a conversation I had with my brother recently.

Bro: You have a lot of squirrels around here, do you ever eat them?
Me: No, no, no. I've never eaten squirrel and don't plan to start.
Bro: Well, you always loved Grandma's mincemeat pie didn't you?
Me: Yeah, that was the best!
Bro: What do you think she made the mincemeat out of???
Me:
ep.gif
sickbyc.gif
th.gif

I used to eat squirrel when I was a kid. It was okay.
I am not about to eat it now.
One invertebrate zoology class and my entire epicurean world got way smaller.
sickbyc.gif

Your brother is yanking your chain.
They used suet instead of butter or lard, that is where the 'meat' came from. ...or, at least that's what they TOLD me.

Another story I heard was the vinegar and spices were supposed to cover the taste or the rancid meat. Which is when grandma chimed in with the suet theory.
AHH! Now I am questioning EVERYTHING!!!
Adults lie, then we grow up and retell the lies as fact and then AHHH!

off to google it.
because we know the internet never lies.
wink.png

off to google it.
because we know the internet never lies.
wink.png
Um, Bon Jour!
lau.gif

We're starting the countdown to dinner with:

Deviled eggs
Shrimp Dip 'n crackers
A small relish tray of fresh veggies

And then........

A huge ham, studded with cloves, pineapple, and cherries
Sweet taters 'n apples (the grandkids wouldn't be happy with anything else)
Baked beans
Rolls so light you have to catch them to butter them
Orange Fluff (don't know what it is for sure but my daughter-in-law makes it every year and it's SOOOO good)
A mixed green salad

Followed by -
Pumpkin pie made with the pumpkins my 9 year old grandson grew for me this year
Chocolate pie (so hubby Ken and son Kenny can have "chunklin" pie on their dessert plates)
Lemon merangue pie
Alka Seltzer

Then after dinner is over, the dishes are done, and the leftovers doled out, we'll all head across the street to our son's house for gifts, giggling, and lots of giant hugs. I love Christmas! The little kids will take turns telling the Christmas Stories - Evan and Katie switch off. This year Evan will tell the story of the Birth and Katie will tell the story of her great-gramma LaVonne's Charlie Brown Tree.

Somehow, I got stuck cooking Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Oh fun times. So the theory for me this year is things I can make once, divide into 2 dishes and cook twice.

Christmas Eve it will be:

Turkey
Cornbread stuffing (our families traditional recipe)
Candied yams
Potato casserole
Homemade Butterhorn rolls
Cranberry sauce
Green bean casserole
Pumpkin pie and a cheesecake for dessert
Wine and cosmos for fun (SIL doesn't like wine)

Christmas Day:

Ham
Potato casserole
Some sort of veggie (MIL bringing)
Possibly a beet salad
Candied yams
Homemade butterhorn rolls
Pumpkin pie and a cake that grandma is bringing

Back
Top Bottom