What is your "cut off date" for selling eggs?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by gritsar, Oct 8, 2008.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I'm anticipating that I may not have egg customers every day since we live in a very rural area. I'll be storing eggs in my frig. until sale or use. I collect eggs at least three times a day. I let the eggs sit on my counter until they get to room temp., then I clean off any dirt spots and refrigerate. So how long can they sit in my frig. before I don't sell them to customers?

2. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

I would say a month since your washing them before you refrigerate them.

3. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    I agree. I wouldn't go any longer than a month.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Well, I don't actually "wash" them. I've followed the advice I got here on BYC about drying my hands with a paper towel after washing and then using the damp towel to lightly brush off any dirt specks off the eggs.
    A month sounds just right to me. Thanks.

5. NC chicken man

NC chicken man Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    Mt. Pleasant,NC
    If the egg dont need washing dont wash them with the bloom on them they will last for months but if your like me you want have that problem good luck.
    Aaron

6. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    I would agree on the timeline suggested. But once word gets out you may find you never have to worry about it.

7. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Shoot, yeah... once people find out, you won't ever eat another of your own eggs again! [​IMG]

8. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    Yeah, people are pretty big on home grown eggs![​IMG]

9. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Shoot, yeah... once people find out, you won't ever eat another of your own eggs again! [​IMG]

Yeah really. Even the realtor that dealt with our house wants fresh eggs from us and I still have WEEKS to wait!!! [​IMG]

10. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    Mrs. AK-BIRD-BRAIN you are so right, my dh is not happy because we have not had any farm fresh eggs for three weeks now, the orders are waiting to be filled before the eggs are laid. I tell my dh don't count your chicken money before the eggs are laid. He does not want store bought eggs so we aren't eating eggs. It was actually his idea to place the Meyer order for 25 brown egg layers. I had to beg to get my first 5 chickens four years ago, now we have 18 and 25 more on the way. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by