What is your experience raising Cochin chicks with other breeds?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MNKris, Mar 3, 2008.

1. MNKris

MNKris Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2007
    Are Cochins (standards) more delicate than other breeds? Do you normally have to separate them from other heavy breeds like RIRs, Aussies, etc.? I am just curious. Ours from our first hatch seem so mellow compared to some of the other breeds. They don't seem to eat as much either, and like I expected, they are slower growing.

The big question I guess, is, are they prone to bullying and are they generally timid? To keep them safe, do they need to be kept separate?

2. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I raised mine with my Orpingtons, a lot of RIR roosters, and some D'Uccles. Strangely enough the D'Uccles and the Cochins were very friendly with each other. I think the D'Uccles found the Cochins were good for warmth! My grown Cochins are calm but they will put another chicken in its place. The rooster likes my BO rooster that he grew up with, but the two of them absolutely hate my Sultan rooster.

3. MNKris

MNKris Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2007
    Interesting. Our first batch seems very mellow. This second set, knock on wood, is MUCH more lively. I think I am addicted. I know they aren't supposed to be good layers, but man, they are so cute!

4. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    The only chickens I have had a hard time integrating with other breeds are the crested ones, silkies and polish.

5. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I have a cochin bantam. She roams around with my standards.

6. fdnick

fdnick Master Chicken Hoarder

Aug 22, 2007
    Spokane, Wa.
    when they were young we had our jersey giants and cochins all together also had some serama in with them no issues.. our cochins are VERY mellow course so are the giants... the serama on the other hand not so much [​IMG]
    Denna

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by