What is your experience with two roosters together?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SIMZ, Aug 13, 2011.

1. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Hello! We have a flock of 12 pullets and hope to add some more in the next few months to make a total of 18-20. I wanted ONE Buff Orpington rooster for breeding purposes, but as things turn out I have 4 Orpington males and 1 SLW male. We would simply eat the extras, but the SLW "Tracy" is everyone's favorite. My plan was to keep one Buff Orpington and "Tracy", but I read last night that two roosters tend to constantly fight. Therefore, it is better to have either one or three.

My questions:

What is your experience with two roosters in a flock that size? I don't want to deal with constant bloody fighting.

Would it be feasible to keep three roosters in a flock that size or would it stress the hens?

Thank you!!
    Stacie

2. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    I have 2 roos in a flock with 18 pullets, with absolutely NO fighting. It all depends on the roos. Mine are EE and a Marans/Wyandotte cross. I also have 3 Guineas with them also. Good luck [​IMG]

3. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I have around 50-65 hens in my mixed flock, plus around 30 roosters. Recently I separated my hens off from the roosters and the Guineas so right now I have around 30 roosters all in the same pen. They' get along just fine. I think 3 roosters would be just right for 18-20 hens. [​IMG]

~ Aspen

4. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I have had up to 10 roos in a flock of around 40 or so with no problems, well besides crowing. We now have a flock of 37 and 6 of them are roosters. They chase each other on occasions but for the most part everyone gets along fine.... for now

5. chisNchickens

chisNchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Glad I found this thread as I was about to post a similar question. I have 16 hens ranging in age from 4 to 5 months. These are RIR, black stars, BR, one EE. I also have three banty roosters, unfortunately, as I was hoping they'd be girls - or at least that one would be! They are all free range on almost an acre. The roos have been jumping on the girls' backs and pulling feathers. Sometimes they grab tail feathers and go for a ride! I thought bantam roos were supposed to be "better behaved". LOL
    There is some roo fighting as well. Is this okay/normal or should I cull a couple roos? Don't want my hens too stressed as they haven't started laying yet.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It may work, or it may not depending upon the number of hens, available space, and temperment of the roosters. Give it a try, and if problems arise do what is necessary.

7. buddy#2

buddy#2 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2009
    Perry County, PA
    SLW have been know for being aggresive. I had a few, gave some away and kept one. The ones I gave away attacked the farmers and mine started to attack me. All was ok in the pen til I introduced a new hen. Then the fighting started. Someone had to own that hen and they fought til one couldn't see. Funny thing he was the winner, never backed down. He was a Blue Laced Wyandotte. Huge roo. Anytime the SLW got near him he'd grab him and not let go. Finaly got rid of the SLW. Beware, they like to attack you from behind. I had to walk backwards for 50 feet til he stopped following me. Any time I turned my back he would rush me. Turn and face him he would stop. Not what I need.

8. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Thanks for all the input! I'm going to start with the SLW and two of the sweetest Orpingtons. If there are problems we'll just have to weed out until we get down to one, if necessary. I've already let everyone know that if it all goes bad "Tracy" is going before my favorite Orpington. LOL

It wasn't good to read that SLW's can be aggressive. This one has always been very bossy since a chick. Now he just keeps his distance from us - so hopefully that's how it will stay. I thought it might be funny to see a rooster chase one of the dogs, but not me!! No way!

9. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I have 16 pullets, and 3 roos....no fighting...also raised 9 roos last year, no fighting...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by