What is your expert opinion?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tommysgirl, Feb 12, 2013.

1. tommysgirl

tommysgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    I have chicks arriving 4/26. This is my second batch. Last year when I got my first little flock I lost one baby the first night. I know these things happen but I would like to increase my live bird count to 100% this year so I would like to know what you all do.

I already know that I will get some kind of electrolytes in their water but can I put ACV in there too. Is ACV the only thing you give to help stop pasty butt? Will yogurt do the trick? How much for 25-30 chicks standard?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. heronz

heronz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    The most important thing is to keep checking those butts for the first week.
    Seems no matter what some of them just get it.

3. tommysgirl

Mar 18, 2012
    Thanks Heronz! I think I will go with the ACV just in case anyway as long it is OK to mix it with the electrolytes. Have you done that?

4. tommysgirl

Mar 18, 2012
    Is it OK to Mix vinegar in with the electrolyte solution...does it affect the flavor or their willingness to drink?

5. hotrodflash

hotrodflash Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    East Texas
    Mixing the ACV and the electrolytes is not a problem. I used plain yogurt mixed with the starter food and a little water to make a mash to treat and prevent pasty butt. I used a small container of yogurt and fed it over three days. Worked for me and it can't hurt.

6. tommysgirl

Mar 18, 2012
    How many chicks did you have? I will have somewhere around 30. I hope to hatch some of my own barnyard mixes around the same day as the others arrive from the hatchery.

7. Jakoda

Jakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Old Lyme CT
    I use ACV daily in my chickens water..Used it when I first got them as day olds, I use 3T per one gallon of water, mix it up in a big jug and use that in their waterer. I have 9 chicks and never have had any pasty butts:)
    Diane

8. hotrodflash

hotrodflash Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2012
    East Texas
    If you are asking me, I have 19. I still provided dry crumble as well. You can give them more like 1/2 the container. Do what works for you, not every way works for every person. Find a method that works for you.

9. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Make sure you have everything set and to temp before they arrive. Having the elecrolytes should help. Did you order gro-gel to be in the box with them? If not, I'd add it, its only a few dollars but it gives them the chance to eat/hydrate sooner.

If you use yogurt make sure to not leave it for too long. I'd probably go with ACV, you can just add it to water and don't need to worry about spoilage.

Do keep in mind that shipping can be hard on them so losing a few is not unusual. Its great to hear you only lost 1 last time. Keep an eye on them all, make sure they are all eating and drinking. Maybe seperate them into 2 brooders as it is hard to make sure 30 of anything are all good to go.

10. Moni

Moni Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2013
    Louisiana
    Hi everyone i am expecting 30 Jap bantams tomorrow. I have a big bundle of thin white washcloths that i bought just kind of on an impulse but LOL. Can i use them in the bottom of my brooder for the 1st couple of weeks instead of pine chips. I figure they are soft, easy on the feet, and washable. Any opinions? Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by