What is your favorite breed and why?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MommaDuck, Mar 22, 2012.

1. MommaDuck

MommaDuck Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2012
    Indiana
    We have two Pekins and are planning on adding a couple more ducks. I like Cayugas the most but I recently found someone close by that is selling Welsh Harlequins. So now I am researching them. Which breeds are your favorite and why?

2. kcjones

kcjones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    I don't know,but will be checking back to see what people think cause chickens are so much fun i'm thinking of trying ducks next year

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I've got 2 Welsh Harlequins on order from Metzer; they were supposed to arrive yesterday, but the hatch was a poor one for one of the other breeds I ordered (black Swedish). So, it's good to "meet" someone else interested in the Welsh Harlequins!

4. For me it is the Mille Fleur d'Uccle bantam.... #1 reason they are beautiful to look at #2 they are so docile, sweet and easy to manage #3 The eggs and chicks sell so good and the girls pay their way in feed/ care cost every month through egg and chick sales thats some of the reasons the Mille Fleur d'Uccle is my favorite breed [​IMG]

5. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Kewl, morability! What about ducks, though?

6. Sorry I did not realize this was in the duck thread when I posted still trying to understand this site [​IMG] .... No ducks for me

7. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    OH, come on - I've had chickens for 5-6 years and am just now venturing into ducks! We need way more ducks on this planet, so go get some, for goodness' sake!

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Look she has only just started and already enabling [​IMG]

9. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Hey, I resemble that remark! [​IMG]

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I started out with Muscovy because thats what ended up in our river below our home, and that is what i have stayed with for almost 9 years now, but there are alot of breeds I like and hope to have other breeds one day. I like Muscovies because they are very friendly, very quiet, good foragers, funny and have pretty much rid our property of any bugs that can be annoying. they are great brooders and awesome mamas, what else can I say, well they are suppose to taste good too but I can't vouche for that one since that part we haven't done. [yet]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by