What Is your Favorite Breed and Why.

GOLDENSEABRIGHT

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 4, 2014
Just tell us your favorite breed and why.
Mine is Blue Dutch Bantams because they are very very pretty and appealing.
Open The eyes of others on this site and tell them your preferred breed.

My very favorite are Black Sex Links, which are actually a hybrid and not a true breed. I love them because they are hardy and friendly, egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 large, brown eggs per hen per year. My favorite standard breed is the Black Australorp as they are extremely hardy, calm and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of them), and the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds.

I tell you what, I have three roosters that are ridiculously mean. So black sex links are great layers, but are they broody?

I tell you what, I have three roosters that are ridiculously mean. So black sex links are great layers, but are they broody?

No, which is part of the reason why they are such great layers. Broody hens don't lay eggs. The broodiest hens I have ever had were Silkies with Cochins running a close second, but both of these breeds are poor layers.

Back
Top Bottom