what is your favorite breed?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ninjascrub69, Aug 31, 2010.

1. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    well, im thinking about getting some more chickens (just built another coop so i could house more) and wanted to know what your favorite breed is, i will choose 25 breeds out of all that are listed.

2. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    Australorp, australorp, australorp, australorp (repeat 22 more times)!
    They are so beautiful with those lustrous feathers and dark dark eyes.....all australorp ladies, in my experience, have been sweet and docile and elegant. So beautiful.

3. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    I'm going to say my Wellsummer. She's a one of a kind. A little slow, but maybe that's why I like her so much.

4. justuschickens59

justuschickens59 VA Royal Blues

Apr 2, 2009
    Virginia
    Orpingtons - Orpingtons - Orpingtons. Large fowl, All colors (except lavender).

Great layers of pretty brown eggs, sweet dispositions, friendly, docile, curious and gorgeous. Also can handle heat and cold weather well.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I really like my EE bantams "araucanas" (they aren't purebred). They follow me around and are so bright-eyed. I don't know if they are my favorite, heck I think I can't choose a favorite!!!

My Buff Orpingtons are cool, too (my husband's favorite). He says they look the way a chicken should look.

6. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Quote:When we first started with chickens I was so desperately in love with the EE chickens (which I thought were Ameracauna, now know other wise), My husband ordered Barred Rocks, White Jersey Giants, Delawares, and some EE chicks. Well I still love my EE chickens but adore my Barred Rocks as well, I just got some Buff Orpingtons in June. I don't really dislike any of my chicken breeds. But I love my BR, EE & BO, and my Delawares.

7. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Orpingtons, Orpingtons, Orpingtons!! All colors, including Lavender!!!!! Just a nice calm friendly breed!

8. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Brahmas - big, calm, and friendly!

9. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Humm ... That's a hard one! [​IMG]
    Silkies in all colors - silkies are so adorable and fluffy and they're great broodies.
    Cochin Bantams are also right up there at the top of the list!
    Sultans in Standard and Bantam! Nobody has those anymore!

10. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    great suggestions! keep 'em comming [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by