What is your favorite chicken breed???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by amelia123, Mar 26, 2015.

1. amelia123

amelia123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2015
    Eastern U.S.
    Share your stories and experiences of your favorite chicken breed and why s/he was so special to you!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] My favorite breed is probably Buff Orpingtons and Barred Rocks. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    My favorites are Cochins, Brahmas, Brown Leghorns, and Japanese Bantams!!

Cochins are the coolest...never had a mean one ever! most have been like puppy dogs!! they are cute, fluffy, cuddly, and are great mothers...i'd say their only downside is they don't lay too many eggs and they get dirty easily because of their feathers. I like the bantams and standards :) One of my little bantam hens loved to run and jump toward me to try to get into my arms, but she rarely made it and usually slammed into me...she was a riot :D

Brahmas are awesome...huge, friendly birds. I once got a straight run of them and ended up with 9 roosters in various colors. All of them were the nicest roosters i've ever met other than cochin roosters. Most breeds i've had good rooster and bad roosters, but with these i've only had good! they lay a good amount of eggs, are really pretty, and most will lay some through the winter!

Brown leghorns are super flighty, but really neat birds. More wild than most chickens, they loved to perch on the highest spot they could. They would sit on my head and fly into trees...they were a real mess! Really pretty though!

Japanese bantams are so small and cute, and they come in so many cool colors. I would say they are the most useless chickens i have, but are fun pets. Most of mine have been pretty friendly!

[​IMG] buff brahma chicks...not quite sure how old they were

[​IMG] One of the light brahma roosters...i named him captain...i had to sell the other 8, but kept him...he was super nice, about 4 months old in this pic (hens head in the back...same breed)

[​IMG] Blue bantam cochin named kage...she had a crop problems that wouldn't go away and died :(

[​IMG] Kori, the bantam cochin that likes to run to me and hit my legs...she was giving me the stink eye for taking a picture while she was trying to lay an egg.
    [​IMG] Sabastian, a bantam cochin x millie...he died of old age a few weeks ago...really pretty bird, great breeder. He would follow me around like a puppy while i did chores, and would cuddle for hours with me while i did school (i'm homeschooled lol). He was the best rooster ever!

3. amelia123

Mar 22, 2015
    Eastern U.S.
    [​IMG][​IMG] I'm sorry about Sebastian...He sounded like a wonderful bird though. [​IMG] Your chickens are BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing!!

4. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    Thanks!! yes, it was very sad :( Thank you! i have so many running around it was hard to decide which ones i should post, lol!

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    My favorite chickens are Black Sex Links, which are actually a hybrid as opposed to a breed. I love them because they are friendly and hardy, egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. :eek:)

6. amelia123

Mar 22, 2015
    Eastern U.S.
    I don't know much about Black Sex Links, but I'm going to look them up right know!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

7. cicknmama

cicknmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2014
    Hardin, Montana
    I'm with you Amelia123 on the Buff Orps....they are so sweet. I also love my EE's. They love to snuggle and be held.

8. amelia123

Mar 22, 2015
    Eastern U.S.
    Buff Orps ARE really sweet!!![​IMG] Thanks for sharing!!!

9. cicknmama

cicknmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2014
    Hardin, Montana
    I have two sex links they are very reliable egg layers and very sweet.

10. amelia123

Mar 22, 2015
    Eastern U.S.
    Thanks for sharing!!! About how many eggs do you get per week?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by