What is your favorite incubator? (Looking for something with easy to manage humidity)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Dusky Beauty, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Genesis Hovabator

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Brinsea

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Farm Pro series

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Reptipro

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. Little Giant

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  6. The old fashioned way; underneath a motherly hen or duck

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. A home made incubator

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  8. Other

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. Dusky Beauty

Dusky Beauty Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    Good morning BYC!
    I thought I'd canvas the board and ask what is your favorite incubator? The one you use or the one you're waiting to use (until you can buy it.)

I'm using a cheapie styrofoam farmpro and keeping the humidity up for duck eggs is a darn near impossible feat here in Arizona.

My first clutch was toast when the power went out one night (At least that wasn't the bator's fault) and my second the humidity was all over the place... lockdown was on sunday and I've got not a pip, so I'm thinking the eggs died again somewhere along the way.
    And I'm already aware cheap styrofoam incubators probably only have a few hatches in them anyway.
    Ideally, I'd like a non styrofoam incubator with good humidity *someday*-- but hopefully my welsh harlequin hens figure out the baby business on their own soon.

Reptipro? Brinsea? All natural broody birds only? What do you swear by for reliable healthy hatches?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  2. Jksmith

Jksmith Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2011
    Quote: Based on what I have seen, and the people I know that use them, I think I will have to respectully disagree on this point.

3. Dusky Beauty

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    clarified--- cheap styrofoam incubators often get germies up in the electrical housings that you might not be able to get out.

4. mbleily

mbleily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Idaho
    Can't all incubators get them?

5. nunlef

nunlef Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    I voted for the hova bator. It's on it's 3rd hatch (this time my son's teacher borrowed it) and it does well. The auto turner is worth it's weight in gold, BTW ;)

6. mbleily

mbleily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Idaho
    What do you use to measure the humidity?

7. Dusky Beauty

Aug 11, 2011
    Far West Phoenix
    Yeah, two attempts on the farmpro and zero hatching :( Maybe it would be a better device for someone NOT trying to hatch ducks :(

8. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    I have 2 incubators but I do love to give a broody a reason to exist. They're so sweet when they finally do hatch out chicks.

My first incubator was a "Top Hatch". It is a piece of junk. Impossible to keep the temperature stable unless you keep it in a temperature controller room that is 99.5 degrees F. Avoid at all costs. I am trying to tweak it to get it adjusted more accurately but it is a frustrating effort.

My second is a Brinsea Octogon 20 with an automatic turner. The thing works like clockwork. I looked at the styrofoam case ones and imho they're not worth it. The Brinsea is so easy to clean after a hatch that it is ridiculous. I would suspect that the styrofoam ones would have a tendency to keep pathogens in the pores of the foam. Wait until you have an egg go bad and break in one and see.

Eventually I'll build my own and run it with a PLC to control humidity and temperature. Once I get to that point it will be 100% rock solid.

9. Habibs Hens

Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    i cant say fav as i have not used many different makes

but i do have a brinsea mini advance EX and just got a brinsea octogon 20 advance EX and they both have auto humidity control

and i tell ya they run sweet

10. nunlef

nunlef Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    Sorry for the delay. I don't use anything, to be honest I don't even use a thermometer, I just followed the direction in the box. It has a 75% hatch rate on shipped eggs, and a 100% on local ones. I got a new brinsea octo 20 today, and set 25 eggs. I'll see how it goes, but I kind of like the stability of a big square styro box, we won't be able to use the brinsea in my daughters preschool class like I planned. Oh, the hova bator is the genesis one that was about 200 including turner from strombergs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by