1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is your favorite oriental?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ninjascrub69, Sep 30, 2010.

1. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Im going to order some oriental breeds and have done alot of research on them, and now i want your opinion. So what oriental breed do you like the most?

2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    I would say my favorite's are probably the Shamo and Asil.. If you are talking about gamefowl.

-Daniel

3. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Good question. I`ve had Shamo, Brazilian, and Asil, but my favorite has always been Asil. I have the Reza type, which means they are unde 6 1/2 lbs. Firey little birds that are easy to handle, and have a calm appearance, yet have that "attitude" and firey disposition that I admire in gamefowl. They are probably the hardest to raise of all gamefowl as the chicks sometimes engage in mortal combat before they are fully feathered. Broken wings, legs, and necks often happen at a young age and when you least expect it, like when you go to town for a quick trip. Pound for pound, they are stronger than any fowl. Buy some from a breeder rather than a hatchery and you can inspect the parents, or at least get a somewhat knowledgeable opinion on the fowl. In any event, be sure to build as many pens as you determine the number of stags as they will not play well with others. Good luck.........Pop

4. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Ok, here's what i've decided on so far, Shamo's (have wanted them since i was little) , aseel's, and Saipan jungle fowl (also wanted them since i was little). anyone else?

5. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    That about covers the good ones to me, china games are nice, but mean as can be from what I've heard

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Always liked the look of the Ga Tre and the Brazilian.

Chris

7. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:Really gamey, but usually gentle like other game fowl towards people from what another breeder told me. Toni-Maries website information is misinterpreted a lot I believe, the meanness she speaks of is gameness. Not manfighters.

-Daniel

8. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    I'm fond of Malays. In fact I'd love to sell you some. [​IMG]

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:[​IMG]

Chris

10. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Quote:Really gamey, but usually gentle like other game fowl towards people from what another breeder told me. Toni-Maries website information is misinterpreted a lot I believe, the meanness she speaks of is gameness. Not manfighters.

-Daniel

I talk to Toni-Marie all the time not her website, that's what I ment though evil towards other birds, they will pop you too though on occation.
    I got 12 eggs from her this spring from her chinas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by