What is your favorite poultry/homestead/backyard farm magazine?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by iamcuriositycat, Sep 8, 2009.

1. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I know this is not technically an incubation question, but I know a lot of folks on this particular section of the forums have been following Mulia's hatching saga. He and I are going to work together to see if we can't get his incubation story into a U.S. magazine. The first step is to choose a magazine or two that we want to target for the story first. So I am soliciting the names of as many likely publications as you wonderful folks can come up with, so I can sift through them and choose a few to start with. Here are two that have been suggested/thought of so far:

Hobby Farms
    Mother Earth News

What do you read? What others are there?

2. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    Grit

3. Chicky Mama

Chicky Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Mountains of N.E. CA
    There's Backyard Poultry,it's bi-monthly.Barnes & Nobles carries it.Only one all about Chickens.[​IMG]

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

It used to be Countryside.....then they got all political. [​IMG]

5. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    I read Country Woman. Love it!

There's also Country.

6. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    I like Backyard Poultry. Great magazine! Plus it has a chicken "mystery" in each issue! I love it.

7. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Backyard Chickens and Mother Earth News. Capper's Weekly is good too. I get a free little magazine called "Living the Country Life" and it has some nice articles in it too. I just love to read, and if I could afford it I would take every farm/animal mag. out there.

8. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Thank you for all the suggestions! I am compiling a list, and then I'll order trial issues from each to see which are most promising. I really appreciate the help. Mulia & I are talking by email and we'll keep everyone updated on the progress of our publishing attempt. May take a while, though, of course! [​IMG]

9. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

It is my impression that "Backyard Poultry" and "Countryside" are published by the same firm, which I believe also publishes "Dairy Goat Journal" and "sheep! magazine".

[​IMG]
    -Junkmanme- [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Hen Mother

Hen Mother Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2009
    California Delta
    Yes, Backyard Poultry and Countryside & Small Stock Journal are published by the same people/company.

Those are just about the only ones I read - except for Backwoods Home which might be another one to try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by