What is your favorite way to prepare a whole chicken?

HenriettaPizzaNolan

Raising Layers and Meat Birds in the City
Premium Feather Member
Apr 22, 2022
Northern Ohio
Hi everyone! I processed my first meat birds (CX) in the fall and have been enjoying pulling meat from the fridge to cook with that I pieced out after processing. Delicious! Best chicken I've ever had!

Anyway, I left 2 birds whole and I really want to cook at least 1 whole and do something really special. I was surprised to only see 1 whole chicken recipe in the BYC cookbook. So what's your favorite way to prepare a juicy, tender, whole chicken with crispy skin? I'm not picky at all so any cuisine or cooking method is fair game as long as I have the means to prepare it!

Send me your best recipes!!!

Prepare your chicken as you would prepare your thanksgiving turkey. Fill with stuffing of your choice,,
Consider getting a bag like below. This one comes with seasonings.:drool:drool:drool
image_2023-01-11_012407685.png

You can get all types of bags that are oven safe. I have a few Turkey size in my drawer. Have transitioned to using bags many years ago. Makes the meat tender, and moist.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

Prepare your chicken as you would prepare your thanksgiving turkey. Fill with stuffing of your choice,,
Consider getting a bag like below. This one comes with seasonings.:drool:drool:drool
View attachment 3372348
You can get all types of bags that are oven safe. I have a few Turkey size in my drawer. Have transitioned to using bags many years ago. Makes the meat tender, and moist.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:
Thanks! So you can put the whole chicken in the bag without cutting it up first?

Yes you can!
I also will roast/bake with onions and gravy
I love split whole chicken bbqed either on pit or in the oven.
Yum. Do you mean like spatchcocking? I've seen that technique before. Someone on Youtube spatchcocked and BBQ'd the whole chicken on a charcoal grill. I forgot about that until now. It looked delicious.

Hi everyone! I processed my first meat birds (CX) in the fall and have been enjoying pulling meat from the fridge to cook with that I pieced out after processing. Delicious! Best chicken I've ever had!

Anyway, I left 2 birds whole and I really want to cook at least 1 whole and do something really special. I was surprised to only see 1 whole chicken recipe in the BYC cookbook. So what's your favorite way to prepare a juicy, tender, whole chicken with crispy skin? I'm not picky at all so any cuisine or cooking method is fair game as long as I have the means to prepare it!

Send me your best recipes!!!
My all time favorite way to prepare whole chicken is the Showtime Rotisserie machine famous several years ago!!!
and then next way is the beer can chicken recipe. can’t go wrong with a good dry rub with the malt beer steaming the chicken through and through!!!

I also like the cooking bags, with some spices under the skin, and apples, sage, and maybe onions in the cavity.
Or spices on the skin and interior, first seared in our Instant Pot, and then cooked in the IP. This works for us for carcasses up to 7 pounds. Otherwise in the bag as for a turkey.
All delicious! And then soup from the carcass, and whatever with the 'leftovers".
Grocery store chicken just doesn't have it...
Mary

Back
Top Bottom