what is your favorite....

Buff Orpington. They are such GREAT chickens! Any of the old time layer hens.
smile.png

"freeranging and more of a "hold your own situation". "

American gamefowl, or Old English Games.

Kraienkoppe.

Red Cap.

Campines.

Maybe Leghorns.

And without a doubt, Red Junglefowl from hatcheries.

Preferably American Game, Kraienkoppe, and Red caps. Cold climates could cause frost bite on the single comb breeds (Old English, Campine, Leghorn/Junglefowl). American games can sometimes throw single combs and Kraienkoppe's do as well in the US though they shouldn't. Aim for the pea/walnut comb ones though and you should be alright.

God bless,
Daniel.

Last edited:
Junglefowl Can't withstand cold, right. Buff orps, standard layers, really, why do you say? I didn't think they were that great at foraging and avoiding predators?

Quote:
Junglefowl are compact little birds, and I imagine they could withstand the cold. But they sport single combs too, and though small; I wonder if they would get frost bite?

Russian Orloffs or Kraienkoppes would be my favorites in relation to my climate here in NC. Both of these breeds have the ever-hardy gameblood in them, and can withstand heat and cold beautifully. Their walnut combs make them immune to cold weather on the face (especially the Orloff, which is bearded and muffed), and their vitality is also a great asset. They're good free rangers and do well in surviving predation. Males don't fight each other to the death and generally get along, making free-ranging a lot easier.

Oriental gamefowl and American Gamefowl are good free-rangers, but both cocks and hens will get into fights if flocks meet and there will be trouble. If you've got the means to keep 'em separated, I suppose it could work. However, I just say what other people have told me and I have never kept games myself--or, I should say, not yet
big_smile.png

Quote:
Hey, DT, there's a couple pics of Kraienkoppes on my Oriental Gamefowl thread, if you want to see them. A breeder in the Netherlands uploaded them there when she found out I liked Kraienkoppes. I think you'll find the pics on page 64 or something.
wink.png

Quote:
Hey, DT, there's a couple pics of Kraienkoppes on my Oriental Gamefowl thread, if you want to see them. A breeder in the Netherlands uploaded them there when she found out I liked Kraienkoppes. I think you'll find the pics on page 64 or something.
wink.png

Not finding them on 57-67, do you happen to know the ladies name? I've been looking at the Kraienkoppe photos again here lately on the web and researching them more. Killing time until I'm able to get some I guess
wink.png

-Daniel

ETA: I found them, page 37. I recognize the birds and lady, miss Wanda has excellent fowl and I've spoken directly with her about Kraienkoppe sometime ago. She kind of filled me in a little more about how Kraienkoppe act and so on in their homeland. In the US they're very flighty I hear, but as I suspected they should be a very gentle bird much like a Oriental Game in personality. She's a good source of information.

Last edited:
Quote:
wink.png

Not finding them on 57-67, do you happen to know the ladies name? I've been looking at the Kraienkoppe photos again here lately on the web and researching them more. Killing time until I'm able to get some I guess
wink.png

-Daniel

ETA: I found them, page 37. I recognize the birds and lady, miss Wanda has excellent fowl and I've spoken directly with her about Kraienkoppe sometime ago. She kind of filled me in a little more about how Kraienkoppe act and so on in their homeland. In the US they're very flighty I hear, but as I suspected they should be a very gentle bird much like a Oriental Game in personality. She's a good source of information.

Yeah, Wanda is a great person to talk to and is a good source of Kraienkoppe info. I recently had a little Kraienkoppe-streak where I was all about "Koppes", but it sort of fizzled out when I discovered that there are hardly any sources of good Koppes in this country. I was originally going to try getting a bunch of IDEAL Poultry's Kraienkoppes and just cull really hard, but then I heard that IDEAL was thinking about doping their Koppes with hatchery-stock Malays and OEG's. That just about stamped out the fuse to my Kraienkoppe explosion
roll.png

If you ever hear of a good Koppe source here in the States (particularly in Dixie), please let me know. I've pretty much moved on from Koppes but would probably move back to them if I could find good ones.

Quote:
wink.png

-Daniel

Yeah, Wanda is a great person to talk to and is a good source of Kraienkoppe info. I recently had a little Kraienkoppe-streak where I was all about "Koppes", but it sort of fizzled out when I discovered that there are hardly any sources of good Koppes in this country. I was originally going to try getting a bunch of IDEAL Poultry's Kraienkoppes and just cull really hard, but then I heard that IDEAL was thinking about doping their Koppes with hatchery-stock Malays and OEG's. That just about stamped out the fuse to my Kraienkoppe explosion
roll.png

If you ever hear of a good Koppe source here in the States (particularly in Dixie), please let me know. I've pretty much moved on from Koppes but would probably move back to them if I could find good ones.

Right now Ideal had some of the best stock I have heard of in terms of hatcheries, I too wanted to buy some of their birds. I was looking at buying nearly 50 birds from them and culling down to 5 tops. I also had plans to buy from Sandhill, whom Ideal got their stock from, and doing practically the same thing developing two (or more) lines to blend together later on. Craig Russell would probably be a really good source, but I haven't called him to see and I just read on feathersite in the SPPA section that he had something like 150 birds seized from his property some months ago.

George McLaughlin is a good source to talk to if you ever get ahold of him. But from my understanding he is a hobby breeder and doesn't have birds for sell, or at least not often.

The Malay is a decent route, I have plans to try a Malay infusion (though I would still keep a line that were strictly Kraienkoppe). But it definitely won't be hatchery Malay! They have too much blood other than the Oriental already which is evidenced by the flighty personality and single/pea combs they exhibit which the OEG blood will only make worse. If Ideal does that, I won't be buying from them.

The lack of sources are kind of what attracted me to them though really; I like a challenge. And these would be a good challenge.

Seems we've hijacked the thread though, you're welcome to PM me to continue our conversation if you'd like.

God bless,
Daniel.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom