1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is your favourite chook and why

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by youngchooklover, Feb 12, 2013.

1. youngchooklover

youngchooklover Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2013
    South Australia
    this thread is about your favourite chickens or ducks and why you like them.

2. youngchooklover

Feb 10, 2013
    South Australia
    the Sussex is my favourite

because they are one of the cluckiest chickens

3. DavidKerk

DavidKerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    My favorite breeds are New Hampshire Red, Rhode Island Red, and Leghorn. I like New Hampshire Reds and Rhode Island Reds because they have alot of personality and I like Leghorns because they are GREAT layers.

4. ChickenLover603

ChickenLover603 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2013
    My favorite breed of chicken would be the Appenzeller Spitzhauben. I love them because they have a great personality, they are adorable and they lay a good supply of white eggs. Their crests are cute and I have never had any problem with other chickens pulling the feathers. They are unique and they can run/fly quickly away from predators.

5. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Great question. Tough to answer. But I'd have to say my favorite so far is the Jersey Giant. Although that said, I wouldn't recommend them for the small backyard flock. My Jersey Girl is HUGE. Barely fits through the pop door of her little house. Her tail feathers get all frayed when she lays and egg because she fills up the ENTIRE nest box.

That said, she's wicked smart. Chatty. Knows her name and comes when I call her. Recognizes me and my husband from strangers and will send up the alarm if a stranger is in the yard that she doesn't know. She's kind of like a watch dog.

On the negative side, she's part backhoe. She can dig up a rose bush in about 20 minutes. She's currently working on digging a tunnel under the fence to the neighbor's yard. She only gets 20 minutes a day to work on it so it's taken three days but today, she could fit through there. And she's also part goat. She'll eat anything and everything she can get in her beak. Had to treat her once for sour crop after she ate straw.

She lays XL brown eggs and decorates them with dark brown speckles. No two are ever alike.

6. youngchooklover

Feb 10, 2013
    South Australia
    wow our chickens have names but they don't know them

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  7. Chic_girl

Chic_girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    Near Columbus OH
    Hmmm...Unsurprisingly, my favorite chickens are Polish! As far as practicality goes, Polish are pretty useless. They are occasional layers of small, white eggs, they never go broody, and heck, those beautiful crests won't let them even see to get out of the way of a predator!

But I love them! My two Polish, though they aren't snugglers, they have so much personality! They have an interesting history as a breed, and people still debate where the breed originated. Polish come in so many interesting varieties, like White Crested Black, WC Blue, Silver-, gold- and buff- laced, Cuckoo, and the adorable, calico Tolbunt! And have you even seen a Frizzled Polish? Talk about funky!

People always do a double-take when they see them- At the fair, people were always fascinated by my Afro-birds, and my ladies developed a fan club. I used to sit with them in my lap, and kids would come up and pet them, while their parents looked puzzled (One person even asked if my hen was an eagle).

Even with the liabilities of owning a flock of Polish, people still love them.

8. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Here's a little video I took of Coco coming when I call her.

9. obsessedwchicks

obsessedwchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2013
    As of right now I'm obsessed with the white chickens and the golden chickens. They just seem so pretty, but I've honestly only had Rhode Island Red, Cornish and a few other kinds because those are the ones my dad just absolutely loves! I'm getting some Delawares and Golden Sex Links this weekend, so I'm pretty excited because lately I've just been so obsessed with white chickens and the golden chickens!

10. youngchooklover

Feb 10, 2013
    South Australia
    cool I'm geting silky hopefully and may be she be broody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by