What is your funniest chicken story???????

Beaky Buzzard

Songster
9 Years
Jan 30, 2010
playing piano and singing
Everyone can tell their the funniest chicken story.
Mine is about my three buckeyes hens. Its one of those you'' have to be there stories'' , but I was there and it was funny to me. My mom looked out our window and started yelling,"Girls run outside all of your chickens are dead" Ofcouse we were outside in seconds. All three of our hens were just laying down flat inthe yard and not moving. At the time we were to ignorant to know they were just sunning. We ran over and started crying. The hens just layed there. Right as i was about to pet one of them for the last time , they jumped up and ran like the dickens down the hill sqaking and screaming . They were so scared. And so were we!!!!!!!

Quote:
gig.gif
I can soo see that!
gig.gif

That happened to us during our first year of raising chickens. Our first chickens were a couple of months old when we first saw them laying out in the yard, so still we thought they were dead. We hurried outside, only for them to get up and wonder why we had disturbed them. We were soooo thankful they hadn't died!
lol.png

One day a friend cam over to see our feathered friends. I asked her to open the pen with the "polka-dotted" chickens (Speckled Sussex). She opened the door and 2 of them flew up at her. She was so freaked out she ran out of the barn and hid in her car!

They like to be held. ALOT!
wink.png

Quote:
Kate, the funniest one was "Never Wake Up Nugget", c'mon. There isn't a story any funnier than that!

I think you're right, here it is! I discovered on that thread a bunch of other good ones too lol,, I had to read through them just for fun!
From October 2008:

There was an unusual amount of noise in my yard early this morning, so I went out to see what the issue was. Blue Rooster was in the middle of the front yard having a "stare-down" with a skunk! He had his feathers all ruffled and was doing the "Rooster dance" at the skunk.
I went back in to get my pistol and when I came back out Blue still had him at bay.

As I walked down my steps, it was 51 degrees,,, I was in bare feet and my nightie,,, and not a happy camper. I was trying to decide how to either scare off or shoot the skunk if he went for Blue before I could intervene. I never got a chance.

Suddenly Nugget woke up. BIG Nugget,, the dinosaur of roosters, had been disturbed. Nugget does not like to be disturbed while asleep I should mention.

Nugget stood up on the chain link fence, cocked his head and looked at Mr. Skunk. Then he jumped off the fence and walked into the yard behind Blue Rooster. Blue was concentrating on Mr. Skunk and didn't see Nugget. Nugget stopped right behind Blue, shook out his feathers and suddenly all the hackles on his neck stood up, his wings fluffed up, and he let out a sound something like a Velociraptor might have made, it scared me too! Mr. Skunk turned and ran and Blue,,,, welllll,,, Blue fainted. I'd never seen a chicken faint before but he hit the ground like a ton of blue bricks. It only lasted 10 seconds maybe and he popped back up, but I wasn't sure whether to laugh, cry, or what.
Mr. Skunk ran across the road and sprayed the neighbors two dogs. Nugget unfluffed and walked back to the fence, jumped up and went back to sleep. I would not want to be Blue Rooster in the yard this morning, I'll bet he's humiliated.

Never wake up Nugget!

March 2011:

Last weekend I dug the first worms for my feathered free-loaders, of course the ladies who are used to me carrying the long, pointy, worm provider informed the younger ones at the top of their lungs and chased me across the yard. So today I thought I'd dig out the tree holes over on the side yard where the pens are located. I picked up the shovel, which is the magic worm provider, and walked across the yard, followed by every wild-eyed hen on the place and most of the roos who were trying to look like they were too cool to worry about worms. I stopped at the first tree hole, tried to sink the shovel head into it and decided it was too hard and needed soaked,, this is important later. So I drag the hose over and start the water running in the Mexican Elder and go to work on another bush i know is ready to dig. The first shovel full of dirt turned over a huge gob of fat squirmy worms and the birds went nuts. Red the RIR hen who is one of the eldest here jumped on the dirt while it was still on the shovel and started scratching like crazy wit her eyes glowing red and rolling in her head. The others were all trying to fit into the hole in the dirt and grab worms as they fell off the shovel. I set the dirt down with Red riding it the whole way. The roosters finally gave up and jumped into the fray to grab worms and run madly away clucking like little girls in the Barbie department at Wal Mart, trying to convince their respective ladies that they had the best specimens set aside for just them. They only one having trouble getting a worm was Quack, my lone Runner Duck. He had no chance of beating the hens, especially Red, to the worms; and since he's taller they run in under him, he can't scratch like they do, so he's pretty much out of luck. I finished up on that tree hole and left them scratching in the dirt and went back to the first hole that was now full of water. I figured I could dig a few worms for Quack while the chickens were busy on the other side of the yard about 75 feet away.

I moved the hose out of the tree hole over to another tree hole to fill up, the water was probably about 8 inches deep in this one and about 4 - 5 feet across,, it's a big tree hole for a Mexican Elder. I stuck the shovel in the water and it sunk down really easily now, so I pulled up a shovel full of wet gooey mud and worms, and set it to side for Quack, who was not where I thought he was. He had headed back to the pen, I guess he figured he wasn't going to get a worm so he'd go see if there was any snacks in the pen. I was about 10 feet from him, but there was a fence in between us. I was trying to get his attention by holding a big fat worm and calling his name,, in other words I'm standing there holding this 6 - 7 inch fat worm and yelling Quack! Quack! Quack! Two people riding by on horseback were looking at me kind of oddly,,, Anyway,,, I had my back to the chickens, who by now had realized I was no longer adding to their enjoyment, but had left the scene and was now digging somewhere else, so they headed my way. I stuck my hand out with the worm, dangling it just right so that Quack could see it and wiggled it again and called Quack! I didn't see Red until she ran between my legs and made a grab for Quack's worm! She knocked me off balance and I dropped the nice fat worm back into the tree hole in the water but it landed on big dirt clod! So I made a grab for the worm, screaming at the top of my lungs "NO!!!! That's MY worm!!" Of course the people on horseback had stopped to watch the circus. While I was focusing on Red and trying to get the worm back, Coby, Nugget's big blue son came in from the left with his greedy eyes on Quack's worm, Quack had finally seen the worm right before I drooped it and rather than come out of the pen had stuck his head through the fence. Coby tripped over his neck and started flapping his wings trying to get his balance, but didn't make it and fell into the tree hole. He sounded the predator alert,, I guess the thought it would look better if he blamed me?

As Coby tripped, flapped, fell, and screamed; I lunged for the worm, missed, tripped over Red and landed in the tree hole with Coby. I stuck my hands out to try and catch myself, my knees hit the ground, and then I sunk into the mud in the tree hole half way up to my elbows. As I pulled one hand out and tried to brace myself to pull the other hand out the first hand sunk into the edge of the tree hole causing it to collapse and I almost did a face plant in the water. To add insult to injury, Blue Girl and Red ran up my back, onto my head and tried to grab the worm, from their perches on my back and head. Of course I tried to knock the bird off my head and slung a bunch of wet mud onto my face and hair, yay... I finally managed to get up on my knees and out of the tree hole, get the birds off my back and come to the realization that during this the worm had vanished back into the muddy water, lucky worm. I leaned forward to pull myself up on the fence just as Coby flapped like a fool trying to get some of the mud out of his feathers,, and threw most of it all over me. Quack was looking at me through the fence with a look that said he just couldn't get lucky. I felt so bad for him,, until I realized that the two people on horse back were still there and about to die from laughter. Two men were sitting on horseback, laughing so hard they were crying like little girls. I stood up with all the dignity possible considering I was covered in mud and a few feathers, and had been caught quacking loudly, screaming at the chickens not to steal my worm, and then playing in the mud while hens ran up and down my back and jumped off my head.

I walked in my house,, into the bathroom to shower, looked in the mirror and discovered that the worm had not ended up back in the water.....

I can imagine this lol! I had a date arrive to pick me up and was chased out of the yard by my feathered kids because they assume anyone coming through the gate has french fries or other treats for them and every chicken and duck around runs like crazy straight at them. This guy was a Sgt. in the Special Forces at Ft. Bliss,,,,,,,
Quote:

Back
Top Bottom