1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What is your preferred Broody? Bantam& or Standard Cochins or Silkie?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Germaine_11.20, Oct 23, 2009.

1. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    I am hoping to get some feedback on the type of Broody hen that you prefer. Next year I would like to try them and I am not sure if bantam cochins, standard cochins or silkies work best.

I have heard that standard cochins sometimes smash the eggs with their heavier bodies (?)

and that silkies will sometimes get off the eggs and sit on someone elses (?)

bantam cochins can't set alot of eggs.

so which do you prefer?

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Good question, I'll be interested to know too!

I want a good broody and have been debating between a standard sized cochin or a silkie. ETA: I'd be hatching standard sized eggs, so how many eggs fit under a silkie?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 23, 2009
  3. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I like none of the above, I have one Silkie, and she will sit on anything, but had no clue what to do when they hatched, I prefer Arucana's, a Amerucana, A Marans, or a Australop. But with that said, its hit or miss whether any of the listed will sit. I had best luck with the Arucana's, had 5 of 5 sit, and they do cover more than a bantam, each hatched 10-12 guinea keets. [​IMG]

4. Germaine_11.20

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Thank you, keep em coming please.

5. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    I have only ever had bantam cochins, but what I have experienced is that when they go broody, do they ever go broody! They are really committed and you never see them leave the nest.

The other weird thing that my girls do, they prefer their nests on the floor and don't want to be in nest boxes?? I'm not sure why. I got the cochins with the farm when I bought the place and the hen house didn't have nest boxes, so maybe its just what they're used to. [​IMG]

Anyway, when one makes a nest on the floor, it doesn't take long until I've got three or four cochins sitting together on the nest! Its like its contagious. When one goes broody, her sisters join in! [​IMG]

The only problem I've ever had was that I tried to get them to hatch some EE eggs for me. Well, they wouldn't hatch eggs other than their own. I guess they discriminate against egg color and/or size. When the EE eggs would hatch, they killed the chicks. They would only care for their own chicks. It was strange, but lesson learned.

The only other problem I've had is that they are so committed to that nest that even when they hatch a few chicks, they won't get up! If they have any eggs left, they will stay on that nest until they all hatch. I had one chick hatched by cochins and that little chick was so sick of staying on the nest, she kept harassing mom to take her for a walk. Finally, that little chick left the nest and was adopted by another banty hen with ten chicks!

That little banty is my best broody and the best mom ever! She is teeny tiny, a mixed breed banty, not much bigger than an OEGB. She hatched TEN of her own eggs, everyone of them hatched and she was the best mom ever. She even killed a baby skunk that broke into the henhouse! The skunk got four babies, but she saved seven of them, and eradicated the skunk too! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  6. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:I would be eating Cochin Soup. Mine have hatched Turkeys, Keets, and the occasional chicken.

7. ErieSpurs

ErieSpurs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Elyria, OH
    I used to have a Cayuga Duck that could hatch anything. She hatched out all of my baby geese.

8. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    I did actually get rid of a few of my cochins after that. They do go broody, but after the chick killings, I just couldn't look at them the same after that. The ones I have left are not really my favorites anymore. Don't trust em'.

9. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    My Silkies hatched a ton of eggs from April til Oct. and didn't lose 1!! I took the chicks to sell and/or brood myself, so I have no clue what kind of mom they would have been. It is true though, that they swapped nests often, which is partly why I just took the chicks when they hatched. None of them would have been particularly attached to anything that hatched. silkieluver_07 has a bunch of Silkies and I have often seen hers wandering around free ranging with lots of babies in tow...so they can be good parents apparently.

My standard Cochins went broody almost as much as the Silkies, but only a couple of them hatched anything. The rest made the eggs watery inside and they also smashed a bunch. My only other standard to successfully hatch chicks was a Red Sex Link.

10. Germaine_11.20

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Hmmm that gives me alot to think about. I bought alot of Cochin eggs and Silkies just to use as broodies.
    If they are going to smash them or kill the chicks then they are not going to work.

Maybe they would be good for my Peacock eggs. Or duck or goose eggs. Hmmmm

Thank you everyone for your help

Any more input?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by