what is your winter water solution?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mtpeke, Oct 17, 2013.

1. mtpeke

mtpeke Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2012
    Asheville, NC
    We live in Western NC in the mountains. Our winters are not harsh but it does get below freezing and it does snow. We have 10 chickens and are currently using buckets with pvc running out with chicken nipples attached. Obviously this system will nto work for winter. Those 1 gallon heated water containers are not big enough. What do you suggest?

2. Cellochick

Cellochick Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2013
    I live in NE North Dakota, and our winters get much colder, but I use a 3 gallon heated fountain waterer. I put it up on a wooden platform to keep the chickens from throwing wood shavings or feed in it. It gets down to -30 here in the winter and the water has never frozen on me unless the power has gone out

3. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Just ordered my chicken nipples today for use in a 5 gallon bucket, read a few threads on here and found what I'm using, a bird bath deicer from tractor supply it will keep 30 gallons of water from freezing and has a thermostat built in, they say it's safe in a plastic bucket so got my fingers crossed.

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: Search for "cookie tin heaters" and build one that suits your purpose.
    It's far cheaper and more reliable than anything you willl find ready made

5. mtpeke

mtpeke Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2012
    Asheville, NC
    Will do. Have not see a 3 gallon one and will look for the make your own. Thank you!

6. Bear Foot Farm

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    One of these on a drop cord is as easy as it gets:
    [​IMG]

7. TallJ

TallJ Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2013
    After having researched for a while and emailing back and forth with the owner, we got a Chicken Fountain at the Mother Earth News Fair a few weeks ago. Hubby has been traveling so we haven't set it up yet (he wants to play with the new toy!) but we have high hopes. It is recommended by the Chicken Chick too....

It has an insulated PVC pipe, and we had copper nipples put on, so they will conduct the heat and keep it from freezing. The guy said he has people in New England and Canada that tell him they put in hot water once a day and have no trouble. We are in PA and get a mixed bag in winter, so I am excited to see how it works out!

http://shop.chickenfountain.com/The-Standard-Fountain-002.htm

8. Bear Foot Farm

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: As SALESMEN are prone to do
    [​IMG]

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  9. TallJ

TallJ Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2013
    Very true, however before we got it we researched it online as well! ;-) Several people touting the effectiveness, so we shall see.

10. jimmywalt

jimmywalt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2013
    I can't believe those things are going for $69 bucks. I need to start selling them since you can make these yourself for probably $5 bucks TOPS!!!!

5 nipples from China are $1.99 shipped and a little PVC pipe with some ends and a T can't be more than $3 bucks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by