What isthe correct humidity for day 1 to day 18?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tomfieldenloveshichickens, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Tomfieldenloveshichickens

Tomfieldenloveshichickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    Somerset, England
    Hi

I am incubating 6 eggs and have got the temp stable but I don't know what humidity I need. Currently it is 60%. Is that ok

2. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    If they are chicken eggs then they need to be at about 40%. At lockdown (day 18 and on) it should be at 60%. I would lower it.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

25-50% for 1-18 and anything in between 45-60% for lockdown. I have had success with dry hatches using lower humidity. Of course where I live dictates much of that.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, humidity is so..... relative..... but I follow recommendations for the 1-18 days' humidity staying in the range of 40 to 50%. I bump up to mid-60s for lockdown.

5. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Quote:This is true. I don't worry about the humidity as much until lockdown, then I make sure it is steady.

6. debilorrah

Quote:This is true. I don't worry about the humidity as much until lockdown, then I make sure it is steady.

Me too. I don't even THINK about the bator til lockdown, then I am nuts over it.

7. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I use the dry hatch method. I use 30 - 35% the first 18 days, then I go to 60 - 65% the last 3 days. Some say that the humidity issue is based on your altitude, where you live. Check with someone near you, and see what humidity they use successfully.

8. debilorrah

Quote:OMG THANK YOU!!!! I have been saying over and over and over that it matters what your climate is!!!! And it DOES! I live in VERY dry area, and others live in high humidity areas. And it does matter!!!! ALOT!!!

9. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    I live in a fairly decent humidity area, but its bone dry in my house over the winter because of the heat. I'm incessantly chapped and parched...so does humidity still make a difference where you live? If not, should I put a humidifier in the room?

10. debilorrah

Quote:Treat it like you live where I do!!! I use aabout 25% days 1-18, then use thick large socks soaked for lockdown.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by