what it the big appeal of EE or ameraucana over other breeds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chookook, Apr 22, 2009.

1. chookook

chookook Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2009
    Burien, WA
    Hi all. I have had heritage breed as well as some mutts, but I see a LOT of owners who go straight to owning these over the more well known breeds. Is there something to them aside from the fun egg? [​IMG]

2. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    Yes, I think they are sooo adorable!! [​IMG]

3. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Besides the unusual egg color they have unique personalities.
    Allot of people who sell the eggs are finding customers don't want the really green looking eggs.
    I said they should sell them as Dr Suess Eggs, you know Green Eggs and Ham [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
  4. chookook

chookook Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2009
    Burien, WA
    Baldie- I love your avatar!! [​IMG][​IMG]

5. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    I love the color as well, but what's really fun is to put just one in a carton of brown eggs and label them to include a gift from Vernon the Wonder Rooster.

6. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    At first I thought it was the fun egg. Novilty. As juveniles mine were psycho. There was a point where I thought if I could have caught them I'd get rid of them in a heartbeat. Now that they have matured they are calm, sweet and will go back to the coop rather than the pine tree. They don't fuss about the weekly inspections that I have to do because of the sex-links and accept handling gracefully. Mine are ee mutts from hatchery stock. I hear even better things about the pure breds.

7. Happy Chicken Mama

Happy Chicken Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Florida
    I think they are a billion time smarter than our other chickens!

They are truly interested in exploring everything. They are kind to the other chicken. We have one that if other chickens are in a squabble she will get inbetween them untill they calm down. Poor thing gets pecked a lot.

They are more independent that our other birds but yest still love to be around us. Not as co-dependant as a cochin for sure.

They are just all around neat birds... not so much to look at (I prefer them fat & fluffy... but that is personal preferance)but they are quite lovely.

The eggs do round out a nice bowl of kitchen eggs. When my husband & I had a finally had a wedding ceramony (at our home... we've been married forever... just now getting around to the ceramony) our protographer kept on going inside to take pictures of the big ironstone bowl of eggs that I keep on my kitchen counter. I think we have more pictures of that then we do of the ceramony!

8. Cottage Rose

Cottage Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Mid west Michigan
    I like their unique look and with their short pea combs, lack of prominent wattles and muff and beard they're ideal for cold climates, not to mention cool looking. [​IMG]
    After I had them for awhile I rather preferred the lack of big ol' floppy combs and blubbery wattles.
    Downside IMO...
    Some strains can be little flighty and not always real friendly.
    They tend to be very broody so if you want eggs broody doesn't help.
    Some strains aren't the best layers and the hens are slow to mature/start laying but the blue eggs are the coolest and the birds come in many colors so never boring.

9. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

For me, it was the lack of big combs, the variety of colors, the cute, cute muffs and beards, PLUS the eggs. Other than their sometimes flighty disposition, there aren't any negatives in my book.

10. McSpin

McSpin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2007
    South Western NY
    Mine are a bit flighty, but their attributes more than make up for it. They are smart, great foragers, efficient eaters, very cold tolerant, not too large and easy to care for. Mine also produce a very blue egg which is a positive for most people buying eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by