What items should a hen keeper keep on hand?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ThinkingChickens, Jun 26, 2011.

1. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    I'm great at first aid supplies for humans but what should a hen keeper have on hand at all times? I'm going to a larger feed store this morning and I want to pick up some supplies for my six girls. I'm going to get DE, since we haven't had any before, so I can add it to the sand in the new walk in run. What else should I pick up.

Shhh, if they have an Ameraucana that might have to come home. Shhhhh

2. paperdragonfarm

paperdragonfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Albany
    I've been wondering what should be in a chicken first aid kit myself. Thinking about it I would guess you'd want Bluekote, electrolytes, a heating pad, bandages, a container for baths....

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    You can add surgical rubber gloves and ky jelly for those "egg bound" hens....

4. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Oh... and I just thought of a few more items for the first aid kit. Alka-Seltzer, ginger and cinamon powder for soured or slow moving crops. [​IMG]

5. ChickenSahib

ChickenSahib Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Hayward
    Alka Seltzer? I thought ACV was enough?
    Quote:

6. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Quote:
    Apple Cider Vinegar is a wonderful maintenance product and does wonders for the over all health of the bird. However should one of your chickens become ill with an impacted crop or a soured crop, ACV may not be enough to save the birds life. You can also use a mixture of ginger and cinamon powder to soothe and move the most stubborn crop. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  7. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Thanks! Keep em coming. These are great suggestions. I had no idea about any of these being new to all this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by