What keeps attacking them!?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by blacknred, Aug 16, 2010.

1. blacknred

blacknred New Egg

Aug 16, 2010
    About two nights ago, something attacked our chickens. It attacked one and killed it and when we found it the next morning, it was only feathers and the ribcage, because the other chickens had eaten it. Another chicken had a nasty wound on its upper neck, and the other chickens were pecking it. We gave that one away. Last night, my brother and I heard the chickens squacking and went out there. Something was in the run, and somehow it had gotten in - probably through a hole in the wire. We used to have 30 chickens, but now we have only 15-20. I think it's a raccoon or fox that's getting them. Any ideas how to get rid of the predator?
    Thanks!

2. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    You can set a trap, or shoot him.

3. 3rocksandme

3rocksandme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Brookline, NH
    I think foxes take their kill back with them. Raccoons will kill the hole flock. They rip off heads and gut them. It's gross. It doesn't sound like either of them. Is your run covered?

We keep ours lock in a coop at night. Seriously locked. We have a flood light shining on it. We have a radio playing inside. We also have an owl statue on the steps on front of the coop people door.

4. blacknred

blacknred New Egg

Aug 16, 2010
    Yeah, the run is covered, but there are places where the predator could get in, now that I take a good look at it.

5. ChurkLover

ChurkLover Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    St. Louis
    Sounds like a racoon or possum. We had possums attacking out turkeys and one was completely missing, one had a wing torn off and back cut open (she survived) and another had some small cuts and missing feathers. We did end up catching a possum in our live trap and we shot it. I advise getting a live trap asap. Fill any openings as quickly as possible. You may want to double-up the wire if possible so the openings are only half as big, also maybe you could add a couple rows of electric fencing around the outside of the coop to keep the animals out. Poor chickens...what a miserable way to go.[​IMG]

6. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    I vote fox. I have a fox problem, but so far it has only been when the chickens are not penned at night (or two pullets during hte day). Nothing has actually gotten into our coop. I have not had any luck trapping, but I know some people do. Other than that, lay in wait with a gun ready.

7. 3rocksandme

3rocksandme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Brookline, NH
  8. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Your story is the reason so many chicken owners keep birds locked up in a secure house at night. Runs are never secure. Period. Predators have 8 hours of uninterrupted darkness to work and work and work at breaching a run. Chances are pretty good they will succeed. I would worry less about what predator keeps killing your birds and put that effort into securing some predator-proof housing.

Good luck.

9. unaspenser

unaspenser Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    Southwest Idaho
    I agree with CMV. Any chance it could be a cat? A feral cat has wreaked havoc on our flock in the past... very sad. I'm sorry about your poor birds.

10. chickenx2

chickenx2 New Egg

Apr 7, 2010
    Thank you everyone. I will keep them in their coop for the night now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by