What keeps your chickens cool in the summer?

I am lucky to be home with them during the summer. I use a mister, it's a flexible one I got on Amazon last year. I also run my sprinkler system around 2:30 pm. Then during the heat of the day at 6 ish, they get frozen blueberries. I have a lot of shade, but the south facing side of the coop is brutal for about three hours. I have the mister in that area. The past few weeks I have been spraying down the perimeter of the yard where they like to hang out dusting themselves. It's damp so it is cooler. I know it may seem overkill but I'm worried about them.

Hey! I live in Texas where the heat is BRUTAL and it seems summer is 9 months a year 🙄 so since im a new chicken owner, i'm wondering what keeps your girls cool in the summer months? Any tips? Mine have a misting system and plenty of shade, along with ice cubes in their water...
I take cupcake trays and fill them with their favorite treats like corn, peas, or frozen fruit. Then I fill them with water and freeze them over night and give it to them on hot days as a little treat to cool them down.

I live where it's usually a "dry" heat, but for a couple of months including now, it's too humid for misters to work. I do use a mister when it's dry enough (dew point about 55 is too wet). But I have shallow trays about a foot or more square. I put an ice block and about half inch of water in it, the birds stand in it to cool off. I use blue bunny ice cream containers filled about to the middle of the B to make the blocks. I also half-fill 2-liter soda bottles and lay them in the shade. The birds lay next to them to cool off.

I made a chicken popcicle with their favorite treats in it. I took one of my large silver mixing bowls put a little water in the bottom, put some blueberries in it, froze that, added a little more water, froze that, added kale, etc etc etc. With layers of strawberries, cherries, spinach, and then finally, I found a bag of the kale/berry mix I used to use for smoothies that helped me finish off my final layers. Once I topped it off with water and it was frozen solid, I took it out, let it sit out there until it was loose enough in the bowl to tip over and tipped it over and let them pick at it as it melted. It was a hit!

Attachments

• ChickenPopcicle.png
    ChickenPopcicle.png
    6.5 MB · Views: 8
Deep shade & Cold drinking water. I run the hose until the water is cool from the well, dump their buckets and fill it fresh. They love to gather around and have a water party. This time of year, I do it once in the afternoon, but when it really heats up I do it 3 times spread out. You can see how much they enjoy it, so that's motivating even though I don't enjoy being out in the heat to do it.

Back
Top Bottom