What key elements do you love about your coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kvmommy, Dec 10, 2011.

1. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    I'm planning on building my coop finally...what are things you feel is a must. nest boxes internal or external, actual windows or screened coverings, poop boards, perches, doors...what works for you???

2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    I guess I like my floor space the best... I can add bins, logs, bricks, etc. to totally change the space, depending on what I need. Today I went from two large bins for adult birds to sleep in to a bin, a box, and a playground of rocks and planks to teach the new babies to fly! [​IMG]

3. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

The things I love the most:

lots of windows
    chicken door that can be opened and closed from outside the coop
    nest boxes that slide out and are accessible from the outside of the coop
    high enough that I can be in there and not have to bend over
    electricity in the coop to plug in the heated waterer and for next summer when we go on vacation, a door opener

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Location, location, location
    high ground or slope so it doesn't get swampy in wet weather
    out of direct sunlight especially afternoon sun, excessive heat kills
    BIG openings for ventilation, bad air kills
    openings facing east for morning light and away from prevailing winds
    electricity in and water nearby
    nearby storage for feed and supplies
    compost piles nearby
    pens visible from the house
    multiple pens for rotating pasture
    brush and trees in the pen for hawk cover and shade
    elevated for a cool spot in summer and the only place unfrozen for dustbaths in winter
    whether nests are in or out - an outside access door for nests
    my birds aren't pets(skittish) - so access doors at the roosts to add/remove birds at night
    a partially covered run for dry/snowfree areas at all times
    a covered working area so I don't get wet while doing chores
    easy access for cleaning out bedding
    automatic waterers
    bulk feeders
    trapnests for breeding
    strong doors with raccoon proof latches

my wish list
    automatic doors
    cameras inside coop
    my house is soundproof so baby monitor or similar device to know when somethings wrong - i.e. dog attack, rooster crowing at 2 AM, prowlers

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  5. Garden Betty

Garden Betty Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2011
    Coastal Los Angeles
    My Coop
    Favorite features of my coop:

Poop tray filled with diatomaceous earth
    Slide-out linoleum floor
    On-site storage
    Sand-covered run
    Its personality! [​IMG]

6. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Well I like the fact that mine has lots of windows, in fact the coop that I’m talking about I bought per made and it had a long door that would flip down so I could reach in and get the eggs right out of the nest. But I found that I liked walking in to the coop so I could check on every thing and anyone that was inside much more then just sticking my hand in and being done so I covered that opening with wire and now it is a long window that I can close and open when I want to, this also allows me to see if anyone is in a nest, or if any eggs are in there that need to be collected, if so I walk in and then I can see if they need any feed or if the bedding needs to changed, stuff like that. Oh and the fact that I can hang the feeder and waterers is really nice, I also added a perch in front of the nest boxes to help my girls, they seem to like it better. I put the roost at different levels b/c some of my birds like to be lower like the heavy girls but my bantams like to be as high as they can, this keeps everyone happy.

7. smokeater413

smokeater413 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    NW Florida
    My Favorite? It would have to be the top of the pen. I built my pen around a 3 muscadine vines then wove the grape vines in and out of the 2x4 welded wire top. The girls LOVE grape season, and they provide great fertilizer.

Oh, and in the summer provides great shade and in the winter when the leaves fall it lets the sun in to warm them.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  8. Hummingbird Hollow

Hummingbird Hollow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Colorado mountains
    I like my poop slide. My roost are set up at an angle like a ladder and the poop slide is parallel to it underneath the roosts. At the floor, the poop slide rests in the lid of a large Rubbermaid container and I'd say that 80-90 percent of the pooping the do is while they are on the roost and it all slides down into the Rubbermaid lid. Once a week I can just take the lid and dump it in the compost heap.

9. MamiPollo

MamiPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    My Coop
    I love the space in my coop, and the fact it is big and airy enough that the girls can stay in there all day if necessary. I love the fresh air design as ventilation is never a problem.

I like that my chicken house is bolted to a concrete slab. No problems with predators digging under the floor!

I love the sand floor, but I also love the plywood that covers half the floor. The sand is super easy. I can scoop it, but if I don't the poop just breaks down and disappears into the floor. The plywood is easy too. I just shovel up the poop that accumulates under the roost. I have straw in one corner for huddling. In spring I will remove that to the compost pile.

The hens have decided to lay their eggs in the pile of straw instead of the nesting box, so I may even take that out.

I like the proximity to a water source, which makes that part easy.

Best of luck with your new coop!

10. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

My favorite things about our set-up:

large enough that we can definitely fit more birds (but our limit is 2)
    predator proof with hardware cloth on the whole thing
    screened windows
    hardware cloth buried under the run to prevent rodents from tunneling in
    lots of head room for me
    decking material instead of wood for the roost
    brick pathway in front
    covered run to stay drier
    our free doggie door that was on clearance but the clerk didn't ring it up
    porch area to store all of their supplies
    kitchen cabinet repurposed into the porch as a supply cabinet
    exterior nest box for retrieving eggs (wish they would use it instead of the floor)
    the window just happens to fit a box fan, we got lucky

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by