What killed/ate my young chickens like this?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by BikerBabeRules, Nov 14, 2008.

1. BikerBabeRules

BikerBabeRules Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Vermont, USA
    I have birds in 2 locations (6 miles apart) and have found this to recently have happened in both places. 2 month old chicks (some a month old) were killed and their feathers on their backs were eaten off. Two, had their necks eaten off as well (weasel trait I know), but never just the body feathers. Three had guts hanging out, but looked fully intact otherwise, except for they all had the feathers eaten off their backs, they were bawled. Would a rat do this?
    Thanks for any insight, I'll take photos if it happens again and post.

2. tfpets

tfpets Mmm, tastes like chicken

I'm sorry for your loss. Whatever it is must be pretty stupid if it only likes feather? Hope someone in your area knows. I had a skunk problem that ate chickens, people were saying skunks didnt eat chickens, but I havent lost another bird since we killed it.
    Good luck identifying your predator.
    We set a trap, with Cat food in it, and caught ours. It was worth the $32 at Tractor Supply for two traps, I tell you. Not another bird lost in a month and a half, after losing over 80!
    Tina

3. BikerBabeRules

BikerBabeRules Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Vermont, USA
    thanks tfpets! I have a have a heart set with cat food every night. Rid the town of 4 skunks this summer and a few cats. I'm thinking rat, don't know, but will find out, thanks for caring.

4. skand

skand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Odessa, Tx
    Just remember, if you shoot it, aim for the lungs. Otherwise, stay way upwind with a clothespin on yer nose.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by