What killed her?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by M To The Maxx, Sep 3, 2009.

1. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    I was at baseball practice and I came home and she was dead right next to the ladder. Her symptoms were standing in the corner, under weight, weak, droopiness of wings, and not a lot of energy. Her eyes looked a little cloudy but not bad. I think she had Mareks. My silver laced polish rooster is tarting to act like what she was doing. How do I treat Mareks?

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

So sorry..........Mareks has no real treatment, only a vaccine to prevent it and supportive vitamin care. Typically you will see them having trouble with one foot/leg, a limping behavior. Yours seems more like Coccidia or worms. Have you treated them with any Corid or wormers?

3. M To The Maxx

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    I have not seen any worms in their poop. I have not treated them with any wormers or corid.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  4. M To The Maxx

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Can I give them corid and wormers at the same time? Can I get it at a local feed store? What is corid? Sorry for all the questions.

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Corid is like Sulmet, used for the treatment of coccidia. My first guess would be they had this. There does not have to be blood in poo for coccidia to be there. Corid is in a small bottle at our TSC for $17. It is in the Cattle wormer section. If you can not find any, get them on Sulmet. Wait a week and see if things improve, if not try some Wazine for round worms.

6. M To The Maxx

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    What is TSC?

7. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Tractor Supply Company..............sorry, LOL

8. bigchickenman

bigchickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Miamisburg,Ohio
    TSC is Tractor Supply Company.You can get alot of meds for poultry there as feed and grain.

9. M To The Maxx

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    How can a chicken get cocci?

10. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

They can get it from the ground, from wild birds etc.. sometimes it seems like they are born with it..... Medicated feed helps some, but does not keep them from getting it completely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by