1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What killed my birds?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Homie Four, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Homie Four

Homie Four Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2014
    Oregon
    So, throughout winter we've been having a predator problem.
    Unsure what it was, we put a trap out. It killed my chickens, ducks, and my goose throughout December to now.
    Our best guess was Raccoon, but finally after months, we caught an opossum.
    I've heard of opossums killing chickens, but will they kill ducks and geese also?
    Is it possible this is what has been killing my birds?
    Thanks ahead of time~

2. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    I would put the trap out again....we had something getting into the run (but fortunately not the coop) and we set a trap, caught a possum, something still got in, set trap caught another possum, something still trying to get in, set trap and caught a raccoon, then no more intrusions....

1 person likes this.
  3. Homie Four

Homie Four Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2014
    Oregon
    What do you use for bait? We've been putting cans of chicken, tuna, marshmallows, fritos, anything under the sun honestly.

4. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    we have always used peanut butter....

1 person likes this.
  5. Howard E

Howard E Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Missouri
    Try dry cat food. That pretty much gets them all. If this is a live trap, a bowl in the back, with a little scattered on the ground at the mouth of the trap.

1 person likes this.
  6. -Wirth-

-Wirth- Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2017
    Northwest Florida
    In agreement with SueT I would say that if there is one opossum nearby that there is another opossum nearby and that anywhere opossum are raccoons are. I can show you picture I took with a game camera that show a family of opossum and raccoons together eating all the feed they can. If all that wasn't there, well there is a chicken dinner next door.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  7. Maggie5

Maggie5 New Egg

Mar 13, 2017
    In our chicken coop we put patio pavers down to keep Predator form digging up we had something trying to get in we set a trap but did not catch it and it was trying to dig up so when we put the patio pavers down we never had any more trouble

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by